the usual "buying a new computer what should i get" question

3998   6   0
80 posts
finally after at least ten years and a over heating graphics card that was the only one incompatible with houdini (!) i am getting a new computer, just wanted to run some specs past and see if the graphics card is actually usuable.

i am on a strict budget, so i have already spent to the limit, if i need any extra, or you suggest a different card it needs to be in the same price range. thanks guys:

3XS OEM * 4GB PNY NVIDIA QUADRO P1000 (4x MDP to DP)

AMD 16 Core Ryzen Threadripper 1950X Unlocked CPU/Processor

ASUS AMD Threadripper PRIME X399 A TR4 E-ATX Motherboard
tea-time + rand(FF) = true
236 posts
Hi, the board and processor look fine to me but maybe someone with a threadripper can confirm the combo.

The graphics card wouldn't be my first choice at that price range. From that I know of Quadros, they benefit from increased VRAM, CUDA and driver stability but if you compare that model to a GTX card, the pricing/value seems off. (The benefits of Quadro cards can be seen on the high-end)

ie. For the same price you can get a 1070 with twice the VRAM & three times more CUDA cores. Or, a GTX 1050ti which has similar specs to the P1000 for a third of the cost.

Also, not sure if the page is out of date but the P1000 isn't listed as being supported anyway.
https://www.sidefx.com/Support/system-requirements/supported-graphics-cards/ [www.sidefx.com]

Rob
Edited by robsdesign - Nov. 28, 2017 08:14:05
710 posts
I've been very happy with my Threadripper system but I will echo what Rob said - don't buy that Quadro. A 1070 or even 6GB 1060 will serve you much better.
333 posts
Save the Money on the Quadro!
Instead, like rob mentioned get a GeForce GTX. It is much better if you are on a budget.

Here its well explained the difference between quadro and geforce cards:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10532978/difference-between-nvidia-quadro-and-geforce-cards [stackoverflow.com]

The Threadripper is a great CPU but its single core performance is not that good.
80 posts
thanks everso for the imput! very useful, will investigate.
tea-time + rand(FF) = true
Staff
5156 posts
We currently don't utilize any Quadro-specific features in Houdini, other than Quad-Buffer stereo (which also requires you have a supported 3D Monitor, which is pretty much a past fad). The only benefits a quadro gives you currently are a) more stable drivers (with geforce you may have to shop around for a good driver and avoid bad auto-updates), and b) oodles of VRAM.
2035 posts
I think I'm going to buy ( hopefully ) a winning lotto ticket this weekend.

Then get a system with dual GP100s and see how much I can do with Redshift.
  • Quick Links