FBX Import Dialog

2571   5   1
604 posts
Maybe its just me, but I cant import FBX on my Laptop running Windows 10, at all - because of the Height of the dialog.

There was some free rigged human 3d scans that I want to inspect, but I couldnt get the rig into Houdini with the File SOP.

So, the Buttons at the bottom of the FBX dialog are cutoff at my resolution (2K : 1920x1080 with High DPI UI). There's no way to resize the dialog, when I drag the dialog higher to expose the buttons, Windows 10 default behavior is to readjust the dialog position so that its top is at the top of the screen - hiding the buttons again.

Tried making my Screen resolution smaller, hoping that it would somehow expose the buttons so I could click them…but, no go there as well.

Tried hitting the Tab key to see if I could simply set focus on the buttons and hit enter, but, I couldnt visually see the control focus indication changing when hitting Tab, so that didnt work.

Thought about trying to trigger the click event on the Dialog in Python…but…figured that energy could probably be better spent complaining/whining about it….LOL…so here I am.
Edited by TwinSnakes007 - Jan. 3, 2018 16:24:50
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
2536 posts
You can drop down an Agent SOP inside a GEO object. Set it to FBX mode and browse to your FBX. This will not get you a “true” subnet import but you can effectively work with the geometry and animation that is embedded in the FBX file. I typically turn polygonsoup off and follow up the FBX with an Unpack, if I know I am mixing two Agent FBX motions together.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
604 posts
Okay, thanks, I'll try that.
Edited by TwinSnakes007 - Jan. 3, 2018 17:44:21

Attachments:
FBX_Import.png (547.9 KB)

Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
7762 posts
you can also open an fbx as if it were a hip file, again without any import options. I would just disable HighDPI mode. 1920x1080 isn't really enough to use high dpi mode. 1000 lines is pretty much the minimum with it on normal ui scale, something closer to 2000 lines is the minimum for high dpi mode.
114 posts
I have the same problem – the import FBX dialog goes offscreen on my MacBook Air (only use it for modeling and animating on the road, no sims). Thank you for the Agent SOP workaround, that seems to work. Just opening a FBX file as if it were a HIP also worked for me, though it took me a sec to realize that the default file open dialog only lists .hip files.

Seems like the open option is better, right? Otherwise I can't figure out how to see the hierarchy when using just the agent SOP. Anyways, thanks!

P.S. Too bad you can't just use tab to choose the off-screen button, that would be a no-brainer! (Or making it not go offscreen in the first place, or making it scroll, etc. etc.)
14 posts
Another workaround is to modify the UI size from the backend by editing the ui.pref file in your home/houdiniXXX folder.

# Global UI controls

# Sizes may be Small, Compact, Normal, Large, or Extra Large.
colors.scheme := "Houdini Dark";
general.filechooserstyle.menu := "Houdini Chooser Only";
general.ui.icon_size := "Small";
general.ui.scale := 0.75;
general.uiplaybar.menu := 1;
ui.bright.val := 1;
ui.contrast.val := 1;
ui.gamma.val := 1;
ui.saturation.val := 1;

The above settings will give you the most compact UI achievable.
  • Quick Links