converting each poly of an object into a separate object

1986   6   1
63 posts
If I have a grid with 10x10 divisions, how would I convert that into 100 separate objects? I'm using Modify>extract now but that is quite tedious even for a 4x4 grid. Is there a way to extract each poly of a given object sequentially/automatically?

(I am looking for this as part of a tilemapped environment export to Unity, it may be there is a smarter way)
129 posts
Facet SOP with “unique points” option should be what you're looking for
63 posts
I think you mean that this separates the polygons from each other within the object? I meant that I need actual separate objects (in Unity, I want to load based on camera proximity, so that only a small fraction of my groundplane is loaded instead of the whole (huge) thing).
129 posts
Not sure if I understand what you're trying to achieve, I just separated the primitives so they are actually separated objects, but you can see it only using an exploded view sop

Attachments:
h.jpg (207.1 KB)

7770 posts
madrenderman
Not sure if I understand what you're trying to achieve, I just separated the primitives so they are actually separated objects, but you can see it only using an exploded view sop

No, he means the object hierarchy when imported to unity.

How are you transmitting the object from houdini to unity? The method used may vary depending on which format is used.

I believe groups in houdini show up in unity as separate meshes, but there might also be an attribute that does the same thing when imported through houdini engine. The easiest way to create a group per piece, is to use connectivity node, and then partition to create groups based on the class attribute.

For fbx, you might need to create actual object containers in houdini. For that it would probably be best to use python to create the nodes with the pieces you want in them. Scripts in houdini can be put into shelf tools, that act on the selection or context when activated.

Try asking on the houdini engine for unity forum if you are using houdini engine.
63 posts
Yep, I'm using Houdini Engine but it wouldn't be a problem if this particular asset has to be ex/imported through fbx, alembic or obj. Re ‘object’ I'm probably not using the right terminology and in Houdini it is called ‘geometry container’.

Good suggestion to go to the houdini engine for unity forum, it's well possible that there are tools for this in Unity as it's all about optimizing memory usage.
7770 posts
druitre
Yep, I'm using Houdini Engine but it wouldn't be a problem if this particular asset has to be ex/imported through fbx, alembic or obj. Re ‘object’ I'm probably not using the right terminology and in Houdini it is called ‘geometry container’.

Good suggestion to go to the houdini engine for unity forum, it's well possible that there are tools for this in Unity as it's all about optimizing memory usage.

Object is the right term for houdini. I was trying to avoid the loaded term ‘object’ which can mean so many things depending on context.
  • Quick Links