Edge Choice For Best Unwrap?

1532   4   0
2572 posts
I am trying to unwrap a goose model. I have watched the tutorials on using UV Flatten but none of them cover what makes the best choice for edge selection. I need to generate UVs for a texture paint program but when I get to the painting process there is never enough detail in the UVs to support high quality texture mapping.

How do I unwrap a goose so I have the most detail in every portion of the body, especially the head/face area?

The image shows my current edge selection which does not produce very good results.
Edited by Enivob - March 1, 2018 09:25:34

Attachments:
Untitled-1.jpg (343.1 KB)

Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
323 posts
I think the body and wings could be ok like this.
I might cut the head of and even seperate the eyes and beak.
Now you can have seperate maps (UDIM) and have the head on its own map…
This way you would have higher pixel density for the parts that need it.
2572 posts
Even if I separate the head, I am still faced with the original question. What edges do I select to cause the head to unwrap correctly?
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
7850 posts
You probably don't want those meridian cuts on the head/neck, instead use a sagittal cut for the head, and a transverse cut through the neck to separate the head/neck. The neck can be unwrapped with a single sagittal cut, either on front or back. The inside beak and nostrils should also probably be cut along their perimeter.

http://teachmeanatomy.info/the-basics/anatomical-terminology/planes/ [teachmeanatomy.info]
2572 posts
Thanks, I learned a new word today
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
  • Quick Links