InverseKIN CHOP relative paths suggestion

5997   10   0
581 posts
Hi all.
By default, the InverseKin CHOP uses absolute paths in the Export Prefix, this is a problem when one is dealing with HDAs.
Maybe would be better to use relative paths by default.
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
Staff
2540 posts
HDA's by default will turn all absolute paths to relative paths. This goes for all IK CHOPs.

Shouldn't have to worry about these things. Now you do have to make sure that the CHOP network is contained inside the HDA though.

If pressing apply or accept when working in the HDA doesn't turn absolute paths to relative paths, then please send the file in to support and we'll have a look at it.
There's at least one school like the old school!
581 posts
I have a attached a file with a scene with a three bone chanin with inverse kinemtics.
I have tested to collapse all of the nodes into a subnetwork and then create a Digital Asset, I get a warning due to absolute paths in the HDA.
The absolute path is in the Inverse Kin CHOP node, in the Export Prefix parameter that references to /obj .
This is the problem I mean to.

Attachments:
IKAbsolutePathTest.hip (86.6 KB)

Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
Staff
2540 posts
Yes I get the error as well.

In this case, you can safely remove the /obj string in the Export Prefix parameter to remove the error.
There's at least one school like the old school!
581 posts
jeff
Yes I get the error as well.

In this case, you can safely remove the /obj string in the Export Prefix parameter to remove the error.
Yes I know the solution, but I think that this should be done by default by Houdini, relative works everywhere and everytime.
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
7743 posts
Actually, this has nothing to do with bones or CHOPs in particular. HDA creation never transforms paths that point *outside* the HDA. See the attached hip file which demonstrates this.

Attachments:
hda_path_test.hip (52.5 KB)

581 posts
edward
Actually, this has nothing to do with bones or CHOPs in particular. HDA creation never transforms paths that point *outside* the HDA. See the attached hip file which demonstrates this.
Yes the problem comes because when you save the HDA with Accept in the Type Properties window for example, you get a warning because all of the CHOPs, for instance in a character you have all of you InverseKIN CHOPs into the character subnetwork, have this parameter with an absolute path, and you have to change all of them.
If by default when thr Bones tool create the CHOPs these CHOPs would use relative paths then the problem will be solved.
Is quite simple to solve I think.
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
212 posts
umm
i'm a bit confused.

IF your CHOPnetwork is inside your OTL you are hitting ACCEPT for in the TypeProperties window and the bones are sitting next to the CHOPNetwork, hitting ACCEPT ‘should’ make all paths that were /obj/yourOTL to ../.. or ../ where appropriate. otherwise, as you say it would be a problem.

so where are your bones and CHOPNetworks sitting?

if you are nesting OTLs inside OTLs and have the CHOPNetwork buried then you will have to do something on the OTLs to reference the path as topLevel parameter.

-k
581 posts
thekenny
umm
i'm a bit confused.

IF your CHOPnetwork is inside your OTL you are hitting ACCEPT for in the TypeProperties window and the bones are sitting next to the CHOPNetwork, hitting ACCEPT ‘should’ make all paths that were /obj/yourOTL to ../.. or ../ where appropriate. otherwise, as you say it would be a problem.

so where are your bones and CHOPNetworks sitting?

if you are nesting OTLs inside OTLs and have the CHOPNetwork buried then you will have to do something on the OTLs to reference the path as topLevel parameter.

-k
My CHOPNetwork is inside the OTL, this is the problem, when clicking accept the absolute paths are not changed to relative in this parameter.
And I am not nestingOTLs, Only a CHOPNetwork into an OBJ Subnetwork with all the InverseKin CHOPs for the character.
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
Staff
3455 posts
if you scene structure looks like this:

OTL
/ \
CHOP_net Bones

and hitting apply/accept doesn't change you paths ro relative then there is a problem somewhere….
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
581 posts
arctor
if you scene structure looks like this:

OTL
/ \
CHOP_net Bones

and hitting apply/accept doesn't change you paths ro relative then there is a problem somewhere….
Try the scene I have put in a previous post to see the scene layout I am using.
I think is the same structure you have put.
So I think that there is some problem … Maybe in Houdini?
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
  • Quick Links