a good editor

8752   12   1
88 posts
What's a good editor for windows to edit environment variable in?
2624 posts
scite is good ! and free

R
Gone fishing
21 posts
do you just want a text editor? Notepad++ is good too (free).
7714 posts
Are we talking about “text” editors here?
639 posts
Vi!
www.vim.org
311 posts
ultraedit is good too.

I timk you get a 30 day eval, so it's free for that long!
68 posts
I don't code for nothin but I like dev C++ as a general text editor, it's free, high quality and customizable. It's meant for c/c++, but I like it for all the little 3d stuff that I write. www.bloodshed.net
166 posts
There is JEdit also, but for C++ it is true that DevC++ is a great ( free ) option.
Time to get out of this messy world.
135 posts
Hey guys sorry to sound ignorant on this but can anyone tell me the uses of perl and python in houdini or in vfx in general? I have heard about them and to learn them but i was just wondering … What would be the uses and advantages to using them…

thanks in advance…..

George
3D Mind body and Soul Great illusions are done by great artists…
4140 posts
Customization, pipeline management, shortcuts - really everything that any programming language can be used for. For example, here our render farm is a grid approach, and all submissions to the grid are managed by a python script. Think of them as hscript on steroids. Hscript is fine for many tasks, but if you want to get complicated, pulling in a full scripting language gives you lots of power. Check out the wiki [odforce.net] for more info if you haven't already.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
135 posts
Thanks John for your response i will get cracking in remembering Perl and now need to learn Python… So i can take care of background tasks using this.. awesome.. thanks once again…..

George
3D Mind body and Soul Great illusions are done by great artists…
639 posts
Hi George,

Python in itself is actually not difficult at all. Most of the programming concepts/logics can be transferred, tho the techniques of solving problems can be a little different.

I started out somewhat with Perl before diving into Python and seems to be sticking to Python thus far. However, I still like Perl for its Regular Expression (Python has it too) and the fact that I can do a one-liner perl from shell directly (without passing perl script)– which means that inside Houdini, I occassionally will do a system call to perl to handle text parsing etc. Of course, I am guessing that I'll probably be doing that until SESI decides to implement some of the more general purpose language into Houdini in place of Hscript or something.

Python is actually pretty fun IMHO.
4140 posts
Additionally, many of the big FX shops are switching, or have already switched, to Python as their in-house scripting language of choice, so there's also a practical incentive in addition to all that fun.

Lots and lots of people that know Perl, but it can very easily lead to terse, hard-to-grok code, which is bad news for the big shops. Python tends to be highly readable, whether you like it or not. Comes with more installed libraries out-of-the-box, and it's very, very powerful and flexible as a prototyping tool.

Obviously, I'm a fan.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
  • Quick Links