Houdini docs for windows

7192   7   3
88 posts
Is there a good resource for Houdini windows version that describes in detail all the files that get installed on the computer? What they do. Where they all are. For example, where all the operators are kept, what all the .exe files do, what all the .h files do…etc,etc…

Thanks
166 posts
It is almost like Linux.

you will have the same organisation from where Houdini has been installed. For example: C:\Program Files\Sidefx\HoudiniXXX\
For example the .h files for the HDK are installed in C:\Program Files\Sidefx\HoudiniXXX\toolkit\include
Otls and DSOs for examples: C:\Program Files\Sidefx\HoudiniXXX\houdini\
But this is what comes with the distribution.
A directory usually is created in C:\Documents and Settings\USER\My Documents\houdini8.1
Where there you will put your own OTLs, DSOs, etc but again all this can be configured.
For the .exe files, go to the BIN directory and in a console type the command itself or cmd –help. An usuage message should appears.
Time to get out of this messy world.
135 posts
thank you Le monkey butt. I was wondering where i should put the otl's and dso's …. Now that you just explained it now i know for that i thank you… i was tring to put the ones from real flow in there and didn;t know where to put them or the otl's from exchange site… Either way thank you for the info…..

G
3D Mind body and Soul Great illusions are done by great artists…
135 posts
thank you Le monkey butt. I was wondering where i should put the otl's and dso's …. Now that you just explained it now i know for that i thank you… i was tring to put the ones from real flow in there and didn;t know where to put them or the otl's from exchange site… Either way thank you for the info…..

G
3D Mind body and Soul Great illusions are done by great artists…
1390 posts
In your home directory in Windows, Houdini will create its folder “Houdini8.1”. Then, in it, there are number of subdirectories keeping all personal stuffs: scripts etc… For your dso, create “DSO” folder and put dlls there.

You can also put it to main Houdini directory, like “C:\Program….\Houdini 8.x.xxx\houdini\dso” in the same way, but this is less preferable.

The same goes with otl -> OTL directory.

There is also bunch of global variables which controls otl and dso placement. Look into Houdni's help: Reference/Env. Variables.

This way you can define different dso and otls folders for all your projects.

hope this help,
SY.

I'm sure someone here can give you more complite explanation of what is going on in Houdnis files structure
Staff
3455 posts
just to add…
it's better to install Houdini in a directory that doesn't have any spaces in the path, and to do the same with anything you might want to use in Houdini…
Houdini doesn't like spaces in paths.
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
24 posts
man I hate windows.
how about some parenthesis? Have you seen what they did with xp64 for the default location for 32bit apps?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Side Effects Software\Houdini 8.1.688\bin

why not throw in some unicode and a few $ signs, maybe a quote or two.

come on…

then again… Side Effects, ahem… you don't have to follow this crap. make a default location c:\sidefx or something. And perhaps get rid of that space in Houdini 8.1.688?

MD

arctor
just to add…
it's better to install Houdini in a directory that doesn't have any spaces in the path, and to do the same with anything you might want to use in Houdini…
2199 posts
arctor
just to add…

Quite a lot of this has been fixed, Houdini quite happily installs to the normal program files directory with spaces and the default home directory is in my documents again a path with spaces. Even paths to geos can have spaces these days.
We tend to avoid them just through legacy issues but I think houdini is happy with spaces now.
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
  • Quick Links