Change the primitive numbers

9689   16   1
53 posts
Hi;

Is there any way to change the primitive numbers?

Thanks.
Best Regards.
Staff
3455 posts
have a look at the Sort SOP
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
53 posts
Thank You so much arctor

Thats it

Have a nice time
53 posts
Hello;

The sort SOP seemingly not working.
Take a look at this hip file please.

Thank You.
Best Regards.

Attachments:
Polypatch.hip (59.4 KB)

7732 posts
The Sort SOP works fine. The problem is that the PolyPatch SOP requires that the point numbers are also sorted by primitives as well. Here's a way to fix it (courtesy of jlait).

Attachments:
polypatch_fix.hip (56.3 KB)

53 posts
Nice, Thank You! edward

You always help me

Best Regards.
Mohammad.
2199 posts
Of course you could just use a second sort sop set to sort by vertex order…

Attachments:
polypatch_fix_si.zip (10.4 KB)

The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
7732 posts
I think that only works because of the vertex order of the curves. If we insert a Reverse SOP after /obj/geo1/curve4, then it screws up the “sort by vertex order” solution. However, for this particular situation it's the simpler one.
2199 posts
True, but its bound to work unless you make the curves with the wrong point order in the first place, ie you build one left to right and the others right to left. But in that case your method won't work either….
Or of course if you deliberately mess things up with a reverse sop. :twisted:
For these situations i have a “sort by minimum energy” sop, this is used in this exact situation when you want to create a skin. What it does is compare different configurations and sorts the points based on the configuration with the lowest total edge length in the final created surface. Its quite handy if you aren't in control of the point ordering for your input curves.
53 posts
Thank You!

Masters of Houdini :wink:
7732 posts
Simon
True, but its bound to work unless you make the curves with the wrong point order in the first place, ie you build one left to right and the others right to left. But in that case your method won't work either

PolyPatch works with *point* order as opposed to *vertex* order. These can be different. So by inserting a Reverse SOP, it just changes the vertex order, but _not_ the point order. That's why the “sort by vertex” method would produce different results than the “sort by primitive”. See attached.

You're right though, I would probably expect the “sort by vertex” result if I have my curve reversed and not the “sort by primitive” result.

Attachments:
polypatch_reverse.zip (6.3 KB)

2199 posts
PolyPatch works with *point* order as opposed to *vertex* order. These can be different. So by inserting a Reverse SOP, it just changes the vertex order, but _not_ the point order. That's why the “sort by vertex” method would produce different results than the “sort by primitive”. See attached.

yes i know, i'm just saying that in most cases you won't have the vertices reversed and not the points too. In those cases both methods break.

If someone has maliciously inserted random reverse sops then yes the “primitive sort” is a nice way out of it… :wink:
However wouldn't it be nice if there was a “built-in” method to sort situation where both points and vertices are randomly reversed?

Attachments:
polypatch_reverse_si.zip (6.3 KB)

7732 posts
Yep, it sounds like your “minimum edge-length result” comes pretty close. I was just noting that we could make our solution insensitive to vertex order, although that may or may not be desired.

Since we have a particular flat and world aligned patch, we could also just fix your random point order result by adding a sort points along vector (1, 0, 0).
7732 posts
BTW, I think it would probably be better for PolyPatch to first follow primitive order, then followed by vertex order.
2199 posts
edward
Yep, it sounds like your “minimum edge-length result” comes pretty close. I was just noting that we could make our solution insensitive to vertex order, although that may or may not be desired.

Since we have a particular flat and world aligned patch, we could also just fix your random point order result by adding a sort points along vector (1, 0, 0).

It's closed shapes that get tricky…. the minimum edge length works pretty well in those situations. I do it just with a user specified seed point on the first profile and then only check edges that join to that initial point.
Maybe you have a better trick for those situations?

edward
BTW, I think it would probably be better for PolyPatch to first follow primitive order, then followed by vertex order.

I thought that sop was just a hangover from prisms, I never use it myself.
Just skin and convert to Nurbs…. and as far as I know skin uses vertex order….
7732 posts
Yes, the PolyPatch is indeed a holdover from PRISMs. For real complicated shapes, I wonder if it isn't better to start using techniques closer to the point cloud reconstruction methods. I think they also use minimum energy approaches.

For more regular shapes, I imagine someone can always come up with a simpler heuristic for specific situations. If it's a tube say, then do something find the average fitting plane across each individual closed curve primitive and then sort according to that plane's normal. Pick a seed point on any one of the curves and propagate it to adjacent primitives, and then finally sort the point numbers based on that. However, that's assuming a lot about the input geometry.
Staff
1072 posts
I wouldn't call either PolySpline or PolyPatch holdovers from PRISMS. I can remember both of them being introduced into Houdini (from PRISMS), despite Houdini's existing spline capabilities. That implies there was either demand or a specific reason, though which, and what it might have been, I can no longer recall.

Not that it really matters whether we call them holdovers or not.
  • Quick Links