Houdini 6.5 questions :)

1956   5   1
28 posts
Wait… WHAAAAT?!

Houdini 6.5 questions? How, you ask?

Well, I have a couple old SGI machines. An Octane and an O2. Actually have two O2.

Anyways, I have Houdini 5.5 and 6.5 on one of them. The keys work except that they expire 2012.

So I set the date back and they work fine. Anyways, I am in the process of making old youTube vids for the sake of posterity for software that used to run on old SGI in Irix.

In the meanwhile I see in Houdini 6.5 these tabs on the geo objects that say “physical”.
The attributes seem to imply rigid body dynamics.

Yet, unlike the modern Houdinis, there is no auto setup for RBD networks in Houdini 6.5

There is documentation with the software but nothing that covers geometry RBD.
Only one hip file showing how to make particles stick to a surface and slide along them.

Does anyone here remember this last era of Houdini in Irix, which is version 6.5, and if it is possible to setup a network manually that would let me run some rigid body dynamics of some basic cubes, or spheres, falling in a pile on a flat plane?

Thanks.
Edited by Intuition - Dec. 15, 2019 00:47:17

Attachments:
Hmaster_65.jpg (945.9 KB)

Staff
4438 posts
Woah… I remember that, sort of. A first complete fail of an RBD implementation pre-DOPs. Using some combination of CHOPs and maybe POPs I believe? Maybe ran the simuolation an POPs, but with some special CHOP to transfer the POP animation back onto the OBJ level transforms?
1621 posts
Good old fatwires.

Btw, if you want to take screenshots natively, irix came with a tool called “snapshot”, should be in the default install on newer ones.
Martin Winkler
money man at Alarmstart Germany
28 posts
Man, that sounds…. difficult…. any lead on info or tutorials to try the RBD method out?
Edited by Intuition - Dec. 15, 2019 07:27:51
178 posts
My favorite thread of the month!
28 posts
Ok,

I figured out the particle situation.

Created two grids… boy is the edit and poly/point selection and switch between transform quite tricky compared to now.

You then create geo… then dive inside and create a popnet…. then dive inside of that… and create…

… a locator to start the particles… a force downstream to affect them… then add the collision nodes, one for each geometry.

Then I fiddled with the attributes on the collision nodes to create bounce at first then slide on surface after bounce was exhuasted.

Ok and the snapshot worked. Now on to try and use this for RBD.

Attachments:
houdiniSnap_002.jpg (240.0 KB)

• Quick Links