primitive groups > point groups

5334   4   0
311 posts
I'm trying to get the point numbers for primitive groups. This doesn't seem to work as Houdini's definition for pointlists is too narrow and it will only list by point groups.

Converting all my primitive groups to point groups isn't possible either because the group
SOP doesn't support wildcards and I have a shitload of primitive groups.

Trying to create an attribute string that I can use in a partition SOP doesn't seem to lead anywhere as I can't seem to create an attribute by group because it doesn't look like houdini can tell be which group my geometry is a member of.

Anyone have any ideas how i can get around this?

Cheers
Jerry
Staff
3455 posts
you can create an attribute of class point that can be applied to a prim group …that will give you the points in that group….

hope this helps…

Attachments:
pointINgroup.hip (41.0 KB)

Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
311 posts
cheers mike. doesn't help much unfortunately

My problem is I have 123 primitive groups and i need to be able to identify the points in each group. Also I want the option of changing the number of points in general.

It's part of a script I'm running that loops through each group, finds the point numbers and loops through those to give me some arbitrary data.

The problem is the pointlist or pointgrouplist function only accepts point groups as a definition of the points to list. grrr

I was hoping a solution similar to yours would be able to stick my group names into and attribute that i might then use to recreate my groups using a partition SOP but so far it's all proving a little elusive.

could be due to too much egg nog, or i hit a wall in hscript.

I'm almost looking at adding a section to the script which adds a group SOP and switches the groups from prim to point to do it that way. I just thought it would be easier.
Staff
3455 posts
ah well…

there should be some kind of primgrouppointlist command - that would solve your problem
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
311 posts
it being the most amazing 3D software on the planet, you'd think…

RFE Sesi?

and while you're about it, how about being able to return primitives bound by point groups for completeness?

much obliged
  • Quick Links