Houdini reseller in Australia

19804   20   8
2624 posts
Is there a houdini reseller in Australia by any chance.

regards R
Gone fishing
581 posts
circusmonkey
Is there a houdini reseller in Australia by any chance.

regards R
I think that side FX doesn't have resellers you have to talk to them directly.
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
2624 posts
Thanks Ive been put in touch. Out of interest are there any Australian people out there using / learning houdini ?

R
Gone fishing
509 posts
I'd be glad to move to Australia for a long period in case you wont find anyone there …. (never been to australia… doh :p)

sorry if this is OT… but… whatever

cheers..
JcN
VisualCortexLab Ltd :: www.visualcortexlab.com
2624 posts
Your more than welcome to visit , its a bit of a desert for vfx firms using houdini but non the less I do enjoy surfing in the morning! before work

R
Gone fishing
306 posts
Out of interest are there any Australian people out there using / learning houdini ?

There's at least one die hard up here in Brisneyland, … and RSP have a couple of seats I believe.

If you're ever up north….

r.
“First things first – but not necessarily in that order”
– The Doctor
2624 posts
rangi my old salt , Im working on a job up in brissey land , check your messages for my PM

R
Gone fishing
509 posts
circusmonkey
Your more than welcome to visit , its a bit of a desert for vfx firms using houdini but non the less I do enjoy surfing in the morning! before work

R

ehehe that's the way … keep it cool.
JcN
VisualCortexLab Ltd :: www.visualcortexlab.com
10 posts
Hi

I'm using Houdini to do Tsunami animations for the Fed gov in Canberra and was tutored by a Houdini Wiz at ANU.

So there is some Houdini work going on in Oz….

However I’m a real beginner in 3D stuff (

Nick
2624 posts
Hey nick feel free to PM me and get in touch , we now have a users group of 3 !

regards R
Gone fishing
56 posts
nick_bart
I'm using Houdini to do Tsunami animations for the Fed gov in Canberra and was tutored by a Houdini Wiz at ANU.
Nick

Hey Nick, I used to work with those guys at ANU. They are indeed wizards so if you're interested in 3D, continue to squeeze them for all the knowledge you can extract. (By the way, I wrote your real-time tsunami viewer, Swollen ;-).
648 posts
also started learning 3D in Canberra! @ ACAT, using Prisms.
I think there are at least a couple more ex-ACAT people
floating around in the industry … I know you're lurking!

-cpb
117 posts
I am that “Houdini Wiz” in Canberra, but I'm a bit embarrassed by that description in the presence of the genuine articles that frequent this forum! There has a been a steady stream of Sidefx users in Canberra since we started using Prisms in the Vizlab way back in the dark ages, at the same time as ACAT was teaching it. Stuart Ramsden who was the lecturer now sits in the office next to mine here at the ANUSF Vizlab. These days Maya is being taught at the school of art, ACAT has transformed into the CNMA (Centre for New Media Art).

-Drew
56 posts
Drew is too modest. Check out his Houdini Ocean Toolkit: http://odforce.net/wiki/index.php/HoudiniOceanToolkit [odforce.net].
3 posts
Hi all
Edited by dakaktus - Feb. 19, 2019 13:24:48
6 posts
Hi Guys

I am still playing around since the old ACAT days

Bye
Karl
117 posts
Hi Martin,

It's great that you're looking at touch for the BDO's, I wish I was going to be there! Tell us how it went.

There isn't any Australian houdini list, not enough users to warrant it anyhow. Just use this forum, the sidefx mailing list, and of course the great http://www.odforce.net/forum [odforce.net].

-Drew
454 posts
circusmonkey
Thanks Ive been put in touch. Out of interest are there any Australian people out there using / learning houdini ?

R

I'm an Australian, but I've been in the USA since 2003. Started on prisms 4.3, and have used every Houdini version since. i can almost use it now…

Let me know if there's anywhere in Australia considering using Houdini…

Cheers
31 posts
Does it really take that long to learn the program well enough to start working in an entry-level position? The reason I ask is because I've often seen comments like the one below. Though half-jokingly presented, they would leave one to believe it is an impossible task to master this program well enough anytime soon, to start getting work with it. How long does it normally take the average person?

That'd be great experience to learn this program well enough that it would be possible to make a move to warm and sunny “north”, to join the “growing” user's group there.

tstex

I'm an Australian, but I've been in the USA since 2003. Started on prisms 4.3, and have used every Houdini version since. i can almost use it now…

Let me know if there's anywhere in Australia considering using Houdini…

Cheers
56 posts
terrybuchanan
Does it really take that long to learn the program well enough to start working in an entry-level position? The reason I ask is because I've often seen comments like the one below. Though half-jokingly presented, they would leave one to believe it is an impossible task to master this program well enough anytime soon, to start getting work with it. How long does it normally take the average person?

It really depends on the aim and the person. I've seen people taket to Houdini and be productive within a month. I've also seen people dabble with it for a few weeks and not really “get it”. It isn't so much Houdini, the program, that takes a long time to master, it's the procedural paradigm. If you have a programming background, this will seem quite natural. Even if you don't, you should hopefully still be productive within about a month. Get the Will Cunningham book, get the Gnomin intro DVD, and watch some of the online videos (VTMS) at 3dBuzz.

Think of Houdini like karate. While most of the world is awed by a black belt, practitioners will say that the first “dan” is only the start of the training. They realize the potential, and know it is a lifelong process of learning - in our case, learning not about the interface/menu/etc but exploring the possibilities it allows.
  • Quick Links