Error Viewport: is empty

2463   8   1
23 posts
All the same, this problem appeared again!

Attached is a small video from the screen demonstrating the problem of a black "empty" viewport.

What is this problem and how can I solve it?

Attachments:
Viewport empty1.mp4 (11.3 MB)

2537 posts
Review the System requirements from the Support link up above on this site. Does your computer meet the minimum requirements to run Houdini?
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
833 posts
I can't see your video, but is it possible that your viewport distance display is not large enough to see your scene? I've run into that issue before.
>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
710 posts
I get this every once in a while as well and I don't think the hardware is to blame.
Toggling back and forth between the different lighting modes, or jumping in and out of different objects will often snap Houdini out of it though.
23 posts
Enivob
Review the System requirements from the Support link up above on this site. Does your computer meet the minimum requirements to run Houdini?

Absolutely, because everything worked yesterday.
23 posts
Midphase
I can't see your video, but is it possible that your viewport distance display is not large enough to see your scene? I've run into that issue before.

If you can watch the video, it will be clear that the object is right in front of the camera and the problem is not only that - but that the viewport is empty - there is not even a grid there.
23 posts
DaJuice
I get this every once in a while as well and I don't think the hardware is to blame.
Toggling back and forth between the different lighting modes, or jumping in and out of different objects will often snap Houdini out of it though.

If it's not difficult, please tell me what exactly are you doing to fix this houdini glitch?
710 posts
Try toggling between these buttons. Sometimes it sorts itself out. If not, try going from inside your SOP, back out to obj level and maybe inside a different object. Ctrl+b to maximize/minimize can also help. If all else fails, restart Houdini.
Unfortunately Houdini's OpenGL viewports aren't as robust as they could be. There are a number of issues like this: lighting going wonky, object visibility getting stuck, selection highlighting doing wacky stuff...
Edited by Siavash Tehrani - June 11, 2021 14:04:28

Attachments:
hindie_B390uxQy4s.png (17.3 KB)

52 posts
did you try to change viewport clipping ?
adjust the range properly according to your scene scale and maybe select the "Hide other object" option as well

you can try to close the Scene View and reopen a new one, sometimes it can fix some issues

Attachments:
Capture.JPG (56.5 KB)

• Quick Links