Motion blur problem for fast rotating objects

2692   6   3
53 posts
I'm animating car wheels in Solaris for a layout and hit a problem with the motion when rendering in Karma. There are only two motion steps no matter what I do.
It seems the RenderGeometrySettings node has no effect on the result. Is there a way to fix this?

Image Not Found

Attachments:
Solaris_MotionBlur_problem.hipnc (406.4 KB)
20210714-134234.png (402.8 KB)

7770 posts
flord
I'm animating car wheels in Solaris for a layout and hit a problem with the motion when rendering in Karma. There are only two motion steps no matter what I do.
It seems the RenderGeometrySettings node has no effect on the result. Is there a way to fix this?

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Yeah, the motion steps on the renderer are useless as the result is already interpolated by hydra from the timesamples before the renderer gets the data. The only way I have found is by having every motion sample exist as a time sample as well.
53 posts
And how do you do that?
Adding a key frame every ⅒ frame doesn't work.
Thanks!
7770 posts
flord
And how do you do that?
Adding a key frame every ⅒ frame doesn't work.
Thanks!

On the usd rop used to write the layer that's being read back, set the time steps to correspond to the number of motion samples. Alternatively, the cache lop has a substep value too.

At least, this is how I remember it working.
Staff
4164 posts
I'd recommend using the Cache LOP, especially when only parts of the scene have extreme motion blur, to get enough samples into the renderer.
I'm o.d.d.
Staff
451 posts
There's a similar thread (https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/74521/) which might be useful
53 posts
Ok so all I was missing was to set the increment properly on my cache LOP.
I always thought we didn't need several substeps for rotation motion blur, but it seems it's required with Hydra/Karma.

Thanks everyone!
  • Quick Links