No geometry in viewport

1988   5   1
9 posts
Hey all,

I upgraded to Houdini 19 last week on both my desktop and laptop and it's been working really well. However, last night my Dell laptop automatically updated windows 10 and now geometry is not being shown in the viewport. I uninstalled and reinstalled the Nvidia GPU drivers with no luck. When I add a basic primitive to the scene it shows up for a split second before disappearing. Any thoughts on why this might be happening or what I should do at this point?

Thanks!

Attachments:
Screenshot 2021-11-10 111616.png (2.6 MB)

636 posts
Use older driver, new nvidia driver produce this error.

It is also in the system requirement noted:
https://www.sidefx.com/Support/system-requirements/ [www.sidefx.com]
Staff
5158 posts
You can either rollback the Nvidia driver to a 470 series, or update Houdini to a daily build > 421 (where we added an extensive patch to work around the driver issue in 496).
7767 posts
malexander
You can either rollback the Nvidia driver to a 470 series, or update Houdini to a daily build > 421 (where we added an extensive patch to work around the driver issue in 496).

Is Nvidia working on a fix for the issue? Otherwise there will be no way to use older versions of Houdini with the latest drivers.
Staff
5158 posts
jsmack
malexander

Is Nvidia working on a fix for the issue? Otherwise there will be no way to use older versions of Houdini with the latest drivers.

Yes, but it's been patched in 18.5 and 18.0 as well. If you're using 12.0 - 17.5, then yes, you'd need to downgrade to 470 or wait for Nvidia's fix (don't know what the ETA is on that).
37 posts
For info, on the nvidia geforce experience application, select the driver tab. If you click on the triple dot, we can choose to install driver called studio driver instead of the "game ready" driver (496.xx I don't remember). This studio driver is currently in 472.47 and it seems to be optimized for houdini 19, Vray 5, ...
Edited by katana13 - Nov. 13, 2021 06:10:27
  • Quick Links