Beach Tank floods memory

634   4   0
250 posts
Hello everyone!

This morning I wanted to have a look at the Beach Tank from the shelf, the manual says to lower the Particle Separation to .03 for a decent simulation, so I did just that, but then my ram got flooded in seconds, and after a few more seconds Houdini crashed, I get the same result in both 547 and 567 under Windows, is this normal, .03 doesn't seem extreme!

My specs
AMD Ryzen 5950x (16 cores)
128 GB of DDR4-3200
Windows 10

The docs for the Beach Tank...

Beach Tank shelf tool [www.sidefx.com]

Here is a screen capture...

Attachments:
BeachTankCrash.jpg (1.1 MB)

2041 posts
Gave it a shot with default settings and only changing Particle separation to 0.03

Took about 5-6 minutes....went up to max memory of 64gb a few times,
but interestingly it seemed to only use disk when the memory was low,
close to maxing out disk a few times that has about 85 GB available.
Finished with 25GB being held in memory.

Never crashed though.

i7-9700 (8 cores)
Win 10
Houdini 20.0.056
250 posts
Weird, thanks for trying, maybe I am due for a clean installation of Winblows!
8555 posts
just briefly looking at what that Shelf Tool does and it seems to be setting up oldschool DOP FLIP setup, but even that in a very inefficient way where its forced to generate all the points every frame even when its not using them, this ends up being more costly than the simulation itself

also the docs say that at 0.03 you'll get roughly 30mil points, but you already get that many at 0.054 so 0.03 should produce about 175mil? which indeed would seem like an overkill and also not exactly what docs say
It may be ok to generate that once, but not unnecessarily every frame

you can also have a look at the SOP leve beach tank example:
- in SOPs, TAB/FLIP Configure Beach Tank
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
250 posts
Worked at .04, but it creates files of 1.5 GB, which makes no sense, it nearly filled my 1TB M.2 drive, and like Tomas said, .054 creates around 30ish million particles, and much smaller files, which makes a lot more sense, I also get funky renders in Karma CPU, the shader won't render in XPU, I will have to dig a little more on that flip fluids stuff, thanks for all the help!
Edited by GCharb - Dec. 27, 2023 08:59:15
  • Quick Links