Flip Fluids and Solaris: Best Practices?

620   3   1
23 posts
I'm still trying to get the hang of working in Solaris / USD, and I'm pretty pleased with the results so far.

But my dilemma is this: I cooked up a flip simulation, nothing too complicated, with the plan of building it in it's own HIP file, export it as a USD, then bring it into a pretty large scene in a different HIP file that I've been assembling.

But the USD files for the flips exports were weighing in at like 50gb, I guess they were storing all of the data that was already cooked in the USD file?

Because it was pretty simple, I just merged the flip hip with the large scene hip, and that will work, but was curious if there was a better way to do something like this?
575 posts
Hello, are writing usds per frame or one big file for all frames?

anyway, delete all unnecessary attributes before writing to disc.
Edited by sanostol - Jan. 7, 2024 06:20:51
8555 posts
evanmathis
But the USD files for the flips exports were weighing in at like 50gb, I guess they were storing all of the data that was already cooked in the USD file?
You should not need to export all the data as usd again if you already cached them as bgeo

Reference the bgeo sequence directly as value clips using Geometry Clip Sequence
https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/93451 [www.sidefx.com]
Edited by tamte - Jan. 7, 2024 08:38:12
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
23 posts
sanostol
Hello, are writing usds per frame or one big file for all frames?

anyway, delete all unnecessary attributes before writing to disc.

I was trying to just write the single file (big) file, and was using attribute delete to strip out some unnecessary stuff.

tamte
Reference the bgeo sequence directly as value clips using Geometry Clip Sequence

Ah this is great!

FWIW - I've been successful with modeling / texturing all of my static elements and saving as individual USD then just bringing in as an asset reference. I was hoping to achieve the same thing with the fluid, and it looks like i sort of can do that, i will just need to re-apply the textures.

thanks to both of you!
  • Quick Links