USD Export to glTF

1438   6   2
35 posts
Is there a way to export a lop using the glTF Rop? I want to export the textures and materials. Or do I need to reconstruct the asset in sops and assign the materials there?
1738 posts
You need to reconstruct unfortunately.

Cast your vote for gltf support in lops, that'll boost the screaming masses to 2 of us.
http://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki [www.tokeru.com]
https://www.patreon.com/mattestela [www.patreon.com]
7 posts
Make that THREE of us! I assume this has already been submitted as an RFE? Any other way I can cast my vote?
Staff
4438 posts
There is ongoing work in the USD/gltf communities to creating a USD/gltf file format plugin. You might want to look on the AOUSD forum for any news or updates. I don't think SideFX is likely to be the ones to implement such a plugin, as there are other parties that have a bigger stake (and more resources) to tackle this. If this work is open sourced you should be able to build it as a plugin to Houdini's USD library. Or if it reaches sufficient quality and the licensing allows it we could make it part of Houdini's USD distribution.
25 posts
Make it 4! Thanks mtucker for the update
44 posts
Supporting gltf in USD is adding bloat to support the thing it makes redundant.
If I'm wrong, please tell me how and why I don't understand this whole thing.
7 posts
nicolaas.tanghe
Supporting gltf in USD is adding bloat to support the thing it makes redundant.
If I'm wrong, please tell me how and why I don't understand this whole thing.

Solaris is now the way Houdini is setup to render, adopting the USD ecosystem. This is now the ideal place to be applying materials, lighting, camera, etc...

GLTF / GLB (in my use-case of it) is the optimal format for WebGL. GLTF / GLB are light-weight file formats meant for final assets (not an entire scene definition like USD - but GLTF does carry a "scene", just paired down to make it light-weight).

There is great flexibility in consolidating a GLFT export in Solaris as it would allow you to take a Houdini/USD scene (including mtlx) and export for other applications that USD may not be appropriate for.

That being said, USD is completely open, SideFX is completely awesome for allowing their implementation of USD to stay open, so there is nothing stopping anyone (with the technical chops) to spend time to develop a plugin for USD => GLTF for Solaris.

It would however be nice for this functionality to be shipped with Houdini by default. SideFX has bigger fish to fry, but it would be a useful to have this feature for workflow consolidation.

If I'm wrong, please tell me how and why as I barely have a grasp on this stuff myself.
  • Quick Links