if you can't do something in Houdini, you can't do it in any

686   7   1
37 posts
Hi

About Karma and movie camera in Unreal engine

They say that "if you can't do something in Houdini, you can't do it in any 3d editor".
You can see cine-camera in aunreal engine and conclude that this camera is much stronger than karma-camera in terms of customization.

Can we improve the karma-camera to make it much better than unreal engine's, to match the phrase: - "If you can't do something in Houdini, you can't do it in any 3d-editor".

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
8575 posts
you can also just make your peace with that phrase not being true and would be very naive thinking it is

but of course for any specific RFEs feel free to elaborate as Houdini for sure could use some improvements in many areas, like as any other DCC
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
37 posts
tamte
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY

I've also heard that if you can't do something in Houdini, you can make the tool yourself and do what we want.
If not using karma camera - can I build an advanced camera myself using vex?
130 posts
Staglaitor
tamte
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY

I've also heard that if you can't do something in Houdini, you can make the tool yourself and do what we want.
If not using karma camera - can I build an advanced camera myself using vex?

You can make lens shader with vex https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/solaris/karma_lens_shader.html [www.sidefx.com]

Never tried to make one myself.

Would be nice if the same effect that's possible with Arnold and Lentil [www.lentil.xyz] plugin is possible in Karma to, but I have no idea.
37 posts
Heileif
Would be nice if the same

Anyway - I want to determine the status of this phrase: - "if you can't do something in Houdini, you can't do it in any 3d editor".

Maybe it has to do with procedural polygonal modeling rather than karma rendering?
Maybe karma rendering was never a strong part of Houdini?
181 posts
As Tomas suggests, the short answer to your question: No. : )
Can you do amazing stuff in Houdini, that you can't do in any other DCC? Yes.
Can you do amazing stuff in another DCC, that you can't do in Houdini? Yes.

Edited by Mike_A - April 5, 2024 12:44:31
37 posts
Mike_A
Can you do amazing stuff in Houdini, that you can't do in any other DCC? Yes.
Can you do amazing stuff in another DCC, that you can't do in Houdini? Yes.

That's a beautiful answer

Based on your statement, all editors are equal and there is no superiority on the part of Houdini, which is sad - I was counting on it so much (((((
181 posts
Not at all equal. For me, and most others here, Houdini is 'superior' in many areas, but it doesn't do everything and it isn't 'King of the Hill' in all the areas it does cover. There is simply no perfect 'do-it-all' DCC.
  • Quick Links