Career choices and why does everyone live in Canada?

6524   3   1
196 posts
I'm doing a computer graphics degree with about an even mix of maths, programming and art/film studies. I've found myself leaning more towards the technical side(suppose thats why I'm posting this in a houdini forum). I was wondering how many hours you operators, programmers, supervisors etc spend in front of a machine each day on average? If you like to get outside once in a while are there any wise career paths?(currently doing the houdini/renderman path)Does anyone have any interesting points or advice?

and…

why does everyone live in Canada?

Ta
Henster
Henster
Staff
3455 posts
…well, I'm a Maya TD (and other stuff..) and I spend all day in front of a computer…then when I get home I'm learning Houdini…so the average day in front of a computer is about 14 hours…
for me, and I think for may of us, 3D is our job - but also a hobby, something we would do on the side if we were doing something else as a job…pretty lucky in that way I think…

as for why so many of us live in Canada (though I'm sure it just seems that way) it's because Canada is just so darn great
the number of people posting to the forum from Canada also includes many of the folks who work for Side Effects…so that ups the nubers quite a bit…
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
87 posts
Hey,

I'm the UK - but I'm from Canada :wink:

Side Effects, Alias, Discreet and Softimage are all in Canada. So are many animation schools like Sheridan, VFS, Seneca's DMC, Centennial's BCCC, Vanarts, so on.

I'm a Maya TD, using/learning Houdini on the job and at home. I spend most of my time on front of the machine, as like Arctor said it's a job and a hobby for me…if my job were something else I'd still be doing this in my spare time. That said, lots of people I know don't touch or think about a computer after work, especially for CG.
/ken_jones/$: _
2 posts
Don't forget Eyeon is in Canada too! lol

The reason so many people are from Canada is that is where a lot of the development companies are based out of. Canada is kinda the home turf of fx technology.

I work as a Sr. Network Engineer (Cisco, Unix, etc.) during the day. I graduated from college with a graphic communications degree but the I.T. industry was booming in 1997 so one thing led to another. I work about 10 hours a day and once in a while sneak in some time for 3D. When I get home, I'm hooked! Sometimes I'm up til 3:00 a.m. learning. Of course I'm tired the next day, but 3D is my passion so I'll do anything to follow my dreams. I.T. is boring! It pays well, but really really boring!
  • Quick Links