[HCS] Dark Houdini Color Scheme

88056   70   12
4256 posts
With LCDs becoming the defacto standard these days I found the default color scheme in Houdini to be a tad brighter than the sun. So over the past few weeks I put together a Dark Scheme which a few of us here at work have grown fond of.

Full size pic.

http://www.stickylight.com/public/ui.jpg [stickylight.com]

Installation:
Houdini 9.0 doesn't handle multiple Houdini Color Scheme files (.hcs) nicely so you can only have one .hcs file in your directory. Unzip and copy the attached UILight.hcs file into your $HOME/houdini9.0/config/ directory and you should be all set.

Notes:
Feel free to provide feed back. Overall I'm happy with it but there might be a few obscure areas that are lacking proper colors. Also there are some UI Elements that I couldn't track down so I tagged them as unknown (UNK). So if you see a UI element that is bright magenta then let me know where and I'll fix it.

Help me!:
One UI element that I couldn't find was the setting for highlighted buttons in viewer toolbars. Currently when your mouse goes over the buttons they highlight full-on white. I'd like to tone it down but I can't track it down.

PS: I'm not a big fan on gradients. Large ones like the shelf are fine but gradients on small toolbars and the like just add visual clutter (for me) so I made them solid)

Attachments:
dark.png (45.7 KB)
UILight.hcs.gz (5.3 KB)

if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
1769 posts
WOW!
Looks very nice!
Thank You!
daniel bukovec | senior fx td | weta digital
qLib -- http://qlab.github.io/qLib/ [qlab.github.io]
4140 posts
We're FIGHTING! back and forth right now on this, since it's such a personal thing. I use list mode a lot and tweaked comment and subnet colours to be a little more readable. The ORANGE highlight was far too strong for me so I pushed it back. Also, I'm not fussy on lots of black areas like the params since I personally feel it clutters the desktop, so I altered BLACK so it ain't. It feels softer and less obtrusive to my eye. Anyway, here's my tweak on this(and yes, Wolfwood did the lion's share on this)…

This reminds me of Prisms. I'm starting to really like it.

Cheers,

J.C.

Attachments:
UILight.hcs.gz (5.4 KB)

John Coldrick
4256 posts
I would love if someone can explain why my node name colors lose about 0.2 of their value in List mode. They look lovely in network mode, but get darker in list. (Its not perceptual as I pulled out the gimp and checked pixel values.)
268 posts
oh yeah.. RMB-save! thanks guys!!

SESI should grab this and use it as their dark UI

Maybe setup area on odwiki and people can post their versions as well

edit:
agree about no grads on nodes.. thought I'm with JColdrick on no pure black
519 posts
Thanks Wolfwood and JC!
1145 posts
Indeed, thank-you to both.
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
58 posts
testing testing … looks quite ehmmm different
519 posts
If you take of your sunglasses you might actually see something wink

Hmmm looks even nice with all the lights in the room switched off…
832 posts
nice one guys! my one comment from the screen shot is that there's maybe a little too much contrast for my liking. but, i will look forward to loading this up and having a tweak myself.

yes, this should be the basis of the houdini default colour scheme. the current military-strength interrogation white makes lighting and shading dark scenes difficult as your eyes have to adjust between 10% dark to 100% white. it almost seems as if the current sesi ui designer doesn't care about people trying to render and light…
12429 posts
Personally I like light backgrounds in the 3D view (stops that 80's feeling in my gut) so I touched the 3DSceneColors.bw to complement my little tweak on JC's version. I found JC's nice except I prefer a little more contrast in the grads and drop-shadows.

Attachments:
UILight_jiversen.zip (6.7 KB)
3dscenecolors_light.jpg (226.5 KB)

Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
4256 posts
Nice Jason!

IIRC SESI is working on a Dark version too, hopefully the next release will have a Dark version that has culled the best ideas from everyone's variations/comments.

Has anyone noticed yet how the base color is the pretty much the same that Valve uses for Steam. :roll:
268 posts
TF2 go time! 'nuff said

Wolfwood
Has anyone noticed yet how the base color is the pretty much the same that Valve uses for Steam. :roll:
1904 posts
Since it is apparently the cool thing to do, here is a pic of my half finished UI.

Attachments:
ui.jpg (73.3 KB)

Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
537 posts
Great for former max/combustion users thanks!
4140 posts
Yup, Jason's comment about contrast raises a good point. The monitors we use for non-colour correct work here are those sweet Dell babies that glow brighter than attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion(Blade Runner - final cut - if you can see it on the big screen esp in digital DO NOT miss it!). You might find Jason's contrast tweaks might read a little better on non-fusion fueled monitors.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
1192 posts
Well, since it's a must and I also kinda liked H8's medium gray, I attach my H8 styled version.

Attachments:
ScreenshotH8.jpg (83.4 KB)
UILight_H8style.hcs.zip (5.4 KB)

Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
519 posts
JC since you are the COCT (Chief of Custom Color Themes - sorry Wolfwood, Jason and Graham, there is only one who can be COCT and, well, i just appointed JC…) there is a little bug in the With/With All but buttons on the Group/Combine tab. They look a bit sewer greenish….aka ugly…
4140 posts
HAHA, I really don't deserve that title. As mentioned, WW did most of the work, I just made it look good *cough*.

Yah, there's a number of greens and sickly green-yellows in there that need tweaking. When I get up the drive I'll likely deal with them, but nothing stopping you from fixing it too!

There's also some annoying stuff like the buttons on the left toolbar of the Scene view - if you pass your mouse over them it appears that screaming white was hard-coded into those. So far we've been unable to find something to drive that in any file.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
  • Quick Links