Acrobat and Houdini...How?

6705   6   0
7 posts
I have downloaded Adobe Acrobat 506 to use with houdini 6 apprentise, but when I try to open a houdini document within Houdini…I can't. How can I configure Houdini to use Adobe Acrobat with houdini? I am using RedHat 9.0 and have little Linux experience, so any simple ways to do it would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks all.
Staff
3456 posts
“open a houdini document within Houdini…”
you can't…Houdini doesn't read *.pdf files….the Help dropdown should just open Acrobat with the file you selected
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
7 posts
When try to open a help file from the “Help” menu, it just says that “Acrobat Reader is not installed”. I am at a loss. Thanks.
7 posts
Kinda' off the subject, but what is a .cshrc file? I am trying to set some environment variables.
4262 posts
soundview00
When try to open a help file from the “Help” menu, it just says that “Acrobat Reader is not installed”. I am at a loss. Thanks.

If you installed Acrobat Reader and you're still getting that message make sure acroread is in your path somewhere.

jim.
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
4140 posts
I've noticed you're a Linux newbie - welcome! When you install acrobat by default, I think it sticks in in

/usr/local/Acrobat5

(depending on version). What you can do quickly, rather than adding a specific location to your path for one measly app, is to setup a link in a common path local - like /usr/local/bin. As root:

cd /usr/local/bin
ln -s /usr/local/Acrobat5/bin/acroread .

(note the period - it's critical). Then, start a new shell and launch Houdini - it should be in your path. Obviously double-check that the location I've suggested is accurate.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
7 posts
Thanks for the reply guys. I'll give it a try and let you know my results.
  • Quick Links