MAYA to H9 (help pls)

4405   7   1
3 posts
halo!
thanks for viewing.

whats the equivalent of “delete history” in H9? in 3dsMAX,we call it “collapsing”. thanks

more related questions to come!
509 posts
well… apart from the thread title which fits nothing with thread content .. and I dont see the reason… (yeah.. stood up on the wrong foot today) ..
I guess you havent got yet the Houdini workflow ..
in Houdini there's no “history” … there're networks.
what you can do .. is -lock- the last node you want to “delete history” from .. and once locked it saves the current node status, since then you can delete completely what's before the locked node.

be aware that to have changes accordingly to what happens above (“history”) this node you need to unlock it again, hence be careefull before you delete what's before it…

that said.. there's no particular needs for doing this .. what's your real reason for asking/need this?

hope it makes sense to you…

cheers
JcN
VisualCortexLab Ltd :: www.visualcortexlab.com
3 posts
i just have the need to have the geometry “baked”. maybe its just a force of habit.
does leaving the whole dependency node intact have any effect on the performance speed of H9? specially if i am going to skin the character.
i am learning H9 using the only resources available to me for free. and those are the downloadable stuff i can get here. is there any place that has a more step-by-step summary of how things work in H9?
thanks
1390 posts
Whole Houdini is around cooking node by node, thus locking one of them is a rare habit but perfectly doable and sometimes handful.

As “Wrong foot morning sum][one” mentioned “delete history” is not from Houdini's world. Your work in Houdini is a building steps history in essence.

But yes, if you'll feel that you need to speed up your network you can lock last node before deformation or save on disk and reload to scene as a disk file… or use cache SOP, or optimize network in a number of ways like replacing expressions with Vex code and so on…

All is possible, acceptable and depends on your needs!

cheers,
sy.
Staff
3456 posts
if you're doing character work
save out the geometry from the last node /before/ the deform
read the geometry back into the scene with a file SOP

this will speed up your deformation

(note that a locked SOP is read into memory even if it is not displayed)
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
Staff
10 posts
The thing I often practiced was to have different Houdini sessions for my static models separate from my animation files. In the animation file, the static models would simply be file sops.

For example, build a procedural bookcase (call it bookcase.hip) At some point save out (or fetch out) a bookcase.bgeo and source this into animation.hip

I know it isn't necessary to do this, but it was more a housekeeping practice that didn't cost me anything. (In this particular example, at least).

If you take this approach, definitely don't delete the procedural tree that builds the bookcase (or history as you call it). You may want to tweak the procedural model at some future point and create a new “static” geometry file.
3 posts
thanks guys.

learning houdini's workflow is taking quite awhile for me. its unconventional to say the least. but hopefully,i can find the sweet spot so i can incorporate this tool in our effects pipeline.

i am currently starting my journey with still life. and thats modelling(now),and later into texturing and lighting. after that,ill have to do some animations,then characters,after that a few effects shots…one stuff at a time. i also find the modelling tools quite awkward bec of the unfamiliarity but they are more than adequate,judging from the options.

i am hoping for your patience in guiding me
max/maya for 10 yrs to houdini is like moving from an english speaking country where you spent the rest of your life to somewhere in the far east where not everybody speaks english hehehe
thanks guys.
509 posts
since today I stood up with the right foot .. I apologie for my previous post

anyhow .. if you need to “bake” geometry .. specially a char which you might want to skin/rig later on .. you can just right-click on the last geometry mesh (SOP) node and “save geometry”.. so it's saved to disk.
the Network where you create (model) che char could then be put apart (do not delete It!).. put down a new GEO node and in the FileIn you just load the saved character.bgeo file… when you skin/rig .. just hook at that new baked geo.

remember that from now .. you can always apply changes to the “char model” Network .. rebake and the skin/rig network will just automatically grab the changes (at least most of them)..

as SYmek mentioned, which I completely agree, locking nodes aint the solution for this kind of things.. it comes really handy in other situations though.
just save the char to disk.. and load it back.. but dont get rid of the “modeling network”.

cheers.
JcN
VisualCortexLab Ltd :: www.visualcortexlab.com
  • Quick Links