License backup?

5095   7   0
19 posts
I want to reinstall my whole linux system. I have an HD license, what do I need to back up (only the license files?). Is there any other problem I should watch out for? Thanks in advance.
519 posts
Make sure your host name on the new system is the same as on the old system…
19 posts
Any ideas on how I can do that on a linux system (like ubuntu?). It's just that I don't remember actually being prompted to set the name during installation… thanks again.
2624 posts
flowerdealer you will be prompted , on set up

R
Gone fishing
519 posts
And else you can edit /etc/hosts

(and put the sticky bit on it since most userfriendly linux distros tend to tinker with everything you do on the cli because the cli is bad and you need to do it on a gui cos a gui is nice with eyecandy and fancy mouseover effects and and, okay i stop ranting now)
4140 posts
I believe the recommended method for all of this is to use hkey to return your license to sesi, do your install, then redeem the license back again. Fiddling directly with licenses can lead to tears…

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
19 posts
Wow I didn't know that last bit! That's really helpful thank you!
Staff
1182 posts
A Houdini license can be returned then redeemed to another computer three times only. This is to give artists the ability to move their license to a new machine but does not allow for licenses to be shared back and forth between different machines.

Robert
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
  • Quick Links