Help doesn`t work

9456   16   3
35 posts
I have a fresh installation of debian(etch, 64 bit) and everything works well but houdini help doesn`t work. Help browser shows only clean white frame.
houdini-9.1.193-linux_x86_64_gcc4.1
519 posts
Is java working correctly?
35 posts
Hm. Java?
I will check it.
Staff
3455 posts
also make sure your using mozilla…
I'm running debian(etch, 64 bit) and it has ‘iceweasel’ and Houdini's help doesn't seem to like it…
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
519 posts
In that case (i.e. you got iceferret) you could get away with just a symbolic link in /usr/bin or something like that
225 posts
If all the above things check out OK try setting your LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable to $HFS/dsolib exclusively just for your houdini session. Seemed to fix a similar problem we had on Suse 64. hope this helps…
35 posts
Hi.
Thank you all for your advices. I will try all of them.
BTW:
When i run houdini help browser i get following messages in console:
(maybe it is the source of my problem)
sanchez@compopt/hfs9.1.193$ ./hbrowser-bin: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4 ‘ not found (required by /opt/hfs9.1.193/mozilla/libgtkembedmoz.so)
./hbrowser-bin: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4’ not found (required by /opt/ hfs9.1.193/mozilla/libmozjs.so)
./hbrowser-bin: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by /opt/ hfs9.1.193/mozilla/libxpcom.so)
./hbrowser-bin: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by /opt/ hfs9.1.193/mozilla/libnspr4.so)
./hbrowser-bin: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by /opt/ hfs9.1.193/mozilla/libgtkembedmoz.so)
./hbrowser-bin: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by /opt/ hfs9.1.193/mozilla/libmozjs.so)
./hbrowser-bin: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by /opt/ hfs9.1.193/mozilla/libxpcom.so)
./hbrowser-bin: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by /opt/ hfs9.1.193/mozilla/libnspr4.so)
194 posts
My problem with the 9.1 Apprentice help is that the back/forth buttons of the help browser don't work.
Staff
463 posts
The help has nothing to do with Java anymore. It sounds like you've got a problem with the embedded browser. I'll ask the appropriate people to take a look.

No idea about the other issue is with the back and forward buttons. Could you post your platform, version, and steps to reproduce?

Thanks,

Matt
Staff
9 posts
The documentation is also available on our website.

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini9.1/ [sidefx.com]
Staff
9 posts

519 posts
Sanchez, does the file /lib/libc.so.6 exist on your system? It's probably a link to /lib/libc-x.x.so where the x's are your actual libc version. If it doesn't, you can do a ln -s /lib/libc-x.x.so /lib/libc.so.6
35 posts
To Pagefan:
Yes, /lib/libc.so.6 exists in my system.
Staff
1255 posts
sanchez79
When i run houdini help browser i get following messages in console:
(maybe it is the source of my problem)
sanchez@compopt/hfs9.1.193$ ./hbrowser-bin: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4 ‘ not found (required by /opt/hfs9.1.193/mozilla/libgtkembedmoz.so)
./hbrowser-bin: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4’ not found (required by /opt/ hfs9.1.193/mozilla/libmozjs.so)
./hbrowser-bin: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by /opt/ hfs9.1.193/mozilla/libgtkembedmoz.so)
./hbrowser-bin: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by /opt/ hfs9.1.193/mozilla/libmozjs.so)

Hello,

Another user was running into the same problem. Here was my response to him:
It looks like your system is using an older version of the glibc package. You could try using your system's package manager (i.e. apt) to upgrade glibc to a version >= 2.4, but I would be very hesitant to do this mainly because it is a package that almost all other packages depend on. I have been told that glibc is forward compatible, so theoretically, it should be ok to upgrade. So it's more of a *DO AT YOUR OWN RISK* suggestion.

The other option is to use the 32-bit versions of Houdini on your machine since the 32-bit versions are built using an old glibc version as well.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Rob
35 posts
Thank you Rob for advice.
I think i will try to run houdini on debian testing destribution.
194 posts
Windows XP Pro 64-bit SP2
Houdini 9.1.179 Apprentice

steps - Help > Houdini Help
The history buttons are grayed out as soon as the help browser opens.
I tried using Alt + left/right arrow too instead of back/forth - does not work either.

mchaput
No idea about the other issue is with the back and forward buttons. Could you post your platform, version, and steps to reproduce?

Thanks,

Matt
194 posts
Thanks, Debbie.

debbie

• Quick Links