Linux GUI problems

15369   24   1
11 posts
Hi.
Have a problems to start Houdini on SuSe 10.3 x64 (Nvidia)
Can't launch a program - i see the Houdini splashscreen, see the houdini processes (ps ax), and that's all.
Once i saw the interface - but it hang up…

I have a latest Nvidia drivers (173…..), 3d accel enabled, other 3d apps works fine.

What's wrong?
Thanx
7028 posts
What does it say in the shell you typed “houdini” in? Anything or it just goes back to the prompt and says nothing?

Can you run the license admin program? Type “hkey” and if it comes up, you can see if you have valid licenses etc.

Make sure “sesinetd” is running, type “ps -ef |grep sesi” in a shell.

Cheers,

Peter B
11 posts
Nothing says in a shell. Just shows the houdini splash screen and then returns to shell.
Once it was the interface appear, but it's not worked.
Trying to launching a hkey:
It doesn't appear (any error output (hkey-bin appears is in the processes))
I keep trying to launch it for 10 or 15 times, and at last it starts. I see the license administration window and green lights. Licensing is ok.

So, it's i think a X problems.
But other 3d software runs well…
7028 posts
Hmm. What does “glxinfo” output? That would confirm that the Nvidia driver is installed correctly. I have no experience with 64bit Linux so I'm reaching a little here

Cheers,

Peter B
11 posts
glxinfo says:
mainhome/postas # glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
display: :0 screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
server glx extensions:
GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig,
GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_SGI_video_sync, GLX_SGI_swap_control,
GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_NV_float_buffer,
GLX_ARB_fbconfig_float
client glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
client glx version string: 1.4

OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 7600 GT/PCI/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 173.14.05
OpenGL extensions:

and so on…
519 posts
Add these environment variables to the houdini shell script or your bash shell:

export HOUDINI_ENABLE_LINUX_THREADED_UI=0
export HOUDINI_ENABLE_THREADED_UI=0

It should work then.
11 posts
Yeah!
It's working!

Such a secret variables…

Thanx a lot guy's
7756 posts
Pagefan
export HOUDINI_ENABLE_LINUX_THREADED_UI=0

I thought this is already the case for any public release of H9.1. Make sure you're not running a beta build.
89 posts
If HOUDINI_ENABLE_LINUX_THREADED_UI=0 is making your hair fall out you can also compile libx11 without xcb. Its working great for me on opensuse 10.3 x64
7028 posts
If you could post a quick “how to compile libX11 without xcb” tutorial that'd be awesome I've held off upgrading to OpenSuse10.3 just because of this.

I'm sure I could figure it out but you've already done it

Cheers,

Peter B
1909 posts
I upgraded to the new Ubuntu, 8.04 last week and it suffers from the same problem. I totally took the easy solution and just installed the libx11 from Ubuntu 7.10. It seems to work alright for me. I wouldn't mind a better solution though.
Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
89 posts
No problem,

You can find some info and a link to the libx11 source here [suseforums.net]

cd into the libx11 source folder and type “./configure –without-xcb”
It may complain about some missing dependencies that you'll have to hunt down, via yast or your distro's tool of choice.

Once that's done run “make” then “make install”, reboot, and you should be good to go

Hope that works for you!

Michael
519 posts
REBOOT, REBOOT, we are not on windows, shame on you Sir! What happened to changing to runlevel 3, recompile the stuff, restart kdm and then switch back to runlevel 5….

Thanks anyway for the recompiling tip A lot easier than i thought. I have no problem recompiling kernels (it has become kind of a hobby “a kernel a day keeps the doctor at bay”) but never dared to tinker with Suse's rpms.

I recompiled my libX11 here without xcb and indeed it does work (running the gentoo distro though and not openSuse)!

Hans
89 posts
REBOOT, REBOOT, we are not on windows, shame on you Sir! What happened to changing to runlevel 3, recompile the stuff, restart kdm and then switch back to runlevel 5….

I KNEW I had that coming, as soon as I pressed submit!
A linux noob is easy to spot, huh?
519 posts
Well better a linux noob than a houdini noob
1909 posts
hmm, now if only I could figure out how to compile my own libx11-dev. I fail as a linux user.
Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
4140 posts
Just to clarify, guys, houdini runs just fine on SUSE 10.3 without the threaded GUI, it's hardly what I would call a good reason not to upgrade. We've recently switched(almost) everything here to 10.3 and things are running great. As Edward correctly points out, all releases of Houdini now have had it off by default for some time, so no-one should be getting lockups.

Recompiling libx11 isn't what I would call a casual experience for anyone but a hacker or sysadmin…you might get it working, but it's a variable I personally wouldn't want to introduce to a production environment…

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
519 posts
pfff don't you think it is nice and terribly fun to introduce some good bugs half way the deadline of your project JC? (please don't answer it…)

Graham if you want to ignore JC's advice: if you want to recompile libX11 you probably not only need libX11-dev but all other dev-packages where libx11 links to (which could amount to another 20 packages you need to install). When the build fails it will spit out a cryptic message of what packages it expect to find. Install it, try again till the next error, etc etc until it works…
139 posts
In Debian or its derivatives, you can do something like this to build libx11-6:

apt-get build-dep libx11-6 # Get the build dependencies for libx11-6
apt-get source libx11-6 # Download and unpack the sources
cd libx11-6-xxxx # Go into the unpacked source directory
debuild -us -uc # Build the package

I suspect that if that works for you, you can edit the file ‘debian/rules’ and add ‘–with-xcb=no’ to confflags, and then rebuild, and you should be good to go…but I haven't tested that part yet

If all goes well you'll have a couple of .deb files in the parent directory of the unpacked source, and you can install those with sudo dpkg -i libx11-6_xxxx.deb
7028 posts
JColdrick
Just to clarify, guys, houdini runs just fine on SUSE 10.3 without the threaded GUI, it's hardly what I would call a good reason not to upgrade.

I take it you don't do a lot of DOPs work? 5 minutes of attempting to set up sims without threaded UI convinced me I couldn't use Houdini without the threaded UI. But that's just me, I'm fussy that way

Cheers,

Peter B
  • Quick Links