modo shading example. Lets duplicate it in Houdini

23052   15   4
78 posts
9mb Flash movie:

http://www.elementvfx.com/WebDemo/modo_shading/modo_shading.html [elementvfx.com]

I end up with 5 materials
clay (diffuse -no spec)
chrome (no diffuse 90% reflection, no fresnel)
blurrymetal (no diffuse 60% reflection, no fresnel, blurry reflections)
glass (5% facing, 100% edge, physically accurate fresnel, IOR 1.54, blur-green beer's-law based absorption)
plastic (diffuse mixed with 5% facing 100% edge reflection, physical fresnel, energy conserving with helmholtz reciprocity)

Irradiance Cached GI on
Direct light with soft shadow
HDR environment for the GI and reflections
8 reflection/ 8 refraction recursions

46 second rendertime 640x480 dual core, decent AA.

I would love to see this replicated in houdini from someone that knows what they are doing.

http://www.elementvfx.com [elementvfx.com]
112 posts
Well I had a go, seeing as no one else has taken up the challenge yet!

I dont know what I'm doing tho, so my best time is 2 mins 45 on an eight core machine.

I hope someone can show us how fast Mantra can be in right hands!

Attachments:
Test.jpg (43.2 KB)

1390 posts
Dear Mike_RB,
Don't want to complain too much, but you've just made a classical example of a scene that doesn't exists in life. Moreover you simple miss the clue of what does mean to be production (film quality) renderer. At the same time, please note, your frame is still not applicable to any broadcasting or screening, so its hard to judge a quality of Modo's work. Try to render animation from that and you'll see artefacts in every pixel. Then you'll start to increase quality, AA and resolution and you'll finish with 2 hours for a frame ( with motion blur, displacement, few objects, textures and so on most probably)

This basic test shows easy raytracing and materials in Modo, but not its production capabilities. These tools look great but are useless for companies what buy Houdini. Why to confuse these worlds?

The fastest soft shadows I've ever seen had free Sunflow raytracer. Nevertheless it's completely useless in production. I'm not saying Modo is useless though. I'm saying Mantra is different beast.

Are you going to compare Houdini with Modo in polygonal modeling respect also? No, because you see the difference between these tools and applications for them.

Then same goes for rendering. I must say I'm little confused when you put in one line (few times at least) Mantra, Vray, mental ray and prman. There is hardy any comparison between those apps. If you can't see that, it would be pretty difficult for you to understand why Mantra *is* fast and how to see that.

Your scene would be similarly difficult to follow for prman, 3delight or Air, and this has nothing to do with their speed. All of them (including Mantra) weren't design for interactive raytracing which you apparently confuse with efficiency in real life film work (sorry for that).

Unfortunately I can't promise I'll prepare my scene (rather busy lately). But give me some time. Maybe someone else will give it a try.

Simon.

PS I must say your request to treat Mantra like VRay is pretty bizzare to me.
78 posts
Symek: Thanks for the politeness in your response. But I'm a big boy and I can take it. I guess I'm approaching this from a commercial perspective more than hard-core film rendering. Commercials tend to be a beast as their quality requirements have gotten very high and yet their production timelines have gotten shorter. Combine that with even more work being done in post as an additional day on set is so much more expensive than ‘just fixing it later’. Ease of setup can really be a factor when you have no time.

But I wasn't trying to go for a speed comparison, not even a quality one really. I recorded *what* I setup, so that I could see the same setup in Houdini. I don't really care if its dog slow or way smoother, I would just like to be able to get the same images, with the same types of features in Houdini as in modo. It looks like Steve is close already.

Other than isolating the glass object with a fine shading rate, and adding some more samples to the blurry reflection one this scene would animate relatively well. But again, I don't really care about the speed comparison part, I just want to be able to make the same images.

And I agree, the likelyhood of setting up 5 toroidcubes each with a different material on a white table lit by the standard kitchen HDR for a production shot is remote. I haven't run across such a thing yet, not even back on Andromeda. However it would have made a ‘very creative’ alien device.

Steve: How are you lighting that? HDR driven GI? Or Ambient Occlusion?
112 posts
Steve: How are you lighting that? HDR driven GI? Or Ambient Occlusion?

Assuming I've set things up right, its HDR driven GI.

Attachments:
Mikes_Challenge.hipnc (1.4 MB)

113 posts
I am just a casual houdini user so my entry doesn't really count.
I just want to share my take on this so some Pro user can take a look at it.

Thread Count: 4
Render Time: 66.578u 1.421s Memory: 239.16 MB of 250.48 MB arena size

It took 66 seconds on Quadcore 2.4GHz with 2GB of RAM

using the sky HDR/Reflection shipped with Houdini.

Attachments:
mantra.png (861.1 KB)
mantra.hipnc (1.5 MB)

where am I?
112 posts
Wow - your scene only takes 20 secs or so on my machine, even if I crank up the shading quality of the GI to 256 it only takes 40 secs.

I need to figure out why that's so much faster than my scene…
7717 posts
steve: in your image, the bottom cube of your metallic torus looks reflective whereas I don't seem to see that in the other pics?
112 posts
I think thats more to do with the positions of my objects. Mine are a bit close together than the others, so maybe its picking up the reflection more?

I've discovered why mine was taking ages. Changing the HDR map I was using to the .rat format showed significant speed ups. Also making a few changes to the samples in Mantra has helped. Now its rendering in 90 secs.

519 posts
And when you turn of the reflectance on the cube as Edward says? IMHO (and probably Nature's too) there should be reflections if this was to be a real world example. I.E. your setup would come closer too Mike's.
78 posts
ITs reflective in mine. I think it's the normals not smoothing the reflection across the bevel. Steve, try a facet sop on the cubes set to 40 degrees.
112 posts
That's fixed it. Although looks like my plastic shader broke. :?

Attachments:
Faceted.jpg (25.0 KB)

606 posts
Ah. Coming from lw + fprime and still doing much of my work in it, I can feel you
I'm working on a lw/modo -style ubermaterial and this was a good test, heh. (I'll share it after ironing out the kinks)

My first houdini vidcap: http://undo.fi/houdini/modo_mat/modo_ubermat.html [undo.fi]

(seems like I saved the image after changing hdr from the end of the vid)

Rendertime was 1 minute on an 8core, and aa is still a bit crappy :\
(gotta learn proper GI, too)

It has to be said, though, that this is exactly the kind of scene one should not time mantra with. I just rendered a landscape with ~200k displacement mapped trees, dispmapped ground, environment area light, motionblur and 9 x 9 pixel samples at 36s per frame - that's more in mantra's alley *grin*

eetu.
1390 posts
Mike_RB
Symek: Thanks for the politeness in your response. But I'm a big boy and I can take it. I guess I'm approaching this from a commercial perspective more than hard-core film rendering. Commercials tend to be a beast as their quality requirements have gotten very high and yet their production timelines have gotten shorter. Combine that with even more work being done in post as an additional day on set is so much more expensive than ‘just fixing it later’. Ease of setup can really be a factor when you have no time.

But I wasn't trying to go for a speed comparison, not even a quality one really. I recorded *what* I setup, so that I could see the same setup in Houdini. I don't really care if its dog slow or way smoother, I would just like to be able to get the same images, with the same types of features in Houdini as in modo. It looks like Steve is close already.

Other than isolating the glass object with a fine shading rate, and adding some more samples to the blurry reflection one this scene would animate relatively well. But again, I don't really care about the speed comparison part, I just want to be able to make the same images.

And I agree, the likelyhood of setting up 5 toroidcubes each with a different material on a white table lit by the standard kitchen HDR for a production shot is remote. I haven't run across such a thing yet, not even back on Andromeda. However it would have made a ‘very creative’ alien device.

Glad to hear that. I was little rude because I see number of questions about how to use Mantra like VRay which drives me into madness. If someone likes Modo or VRay why to bother with Houdini which is, at the first glance, different kind of tool..? I know a number of people who recently started to consider working in Houdini exactly because of that difference in kind.

It's pretty difficult to explain what makes this difference (at least for me). At the same time this difference makes many people who made one movie in mental ray (rather decent engine for sure) to runaway from it towards any micropoly engine among which Mantra shines with additional capabilities like volumetrics or PBR (not mentioning its price!). I'm also close to conclusion that raytracing engine in Mantra is the best one among all reyes engines. (The only problem I can see now with it, is instancing - instance, threading, and raytracing is a kind of trio which puts Mantra in shame).

You're absolutely right about time factor in commercials. But studios usually don't start from scratch. They build their tools through years. One of the most important quality of Houdini's workflow is how easily one can accumulate knowledge and tools in it. Like in good OOP, nothing has to be done twice.

Anyways, from my perspective work on your scene implies:

- Houdini doesn't come with energy conservation shaders. If you'd like to use one, you are in charge to make them. Personally I don't see the reason for that, but this is my POV.

- Soft Reflections scream for anisotropic shader with custom pdf (probability distribution function) sent to gather() loop or similar solution. I assume most Mantra/PRMan houses have their own version of such shader. Ask Mario about details . It's crazy fast and flexible but currently needs to be coded by the user.

- Soft shadows could be done in PBR pass in which they are relatively cheap and stable (raytraced soft shadows like to be ugly). Another alternative is an implementation of depth map soft shadow shader based on Disney paper:
http://www.3db-site.com/html/softShadow.php?568f0b00 [3db-site.com]
Of course you can use, as many of us, simple raytraced area shadows. The problem is that this solution *in any renderer* really fast reaches its limit in heavy or displaced scenes. Mentioned previously difference is that Mantra gives you a choice to avoid this limit.

- GI workflow in Mantra is a kind of broken pipeline with surprisingly good end. There is pretty nice irradiance() call in VEX with an implementation of irradiance cache based on gradients (Ward 1992(?)). One should isolate that call from other shadings and consider baking its data to pointcloud/brickmap. Again PBR seams to be perfect alternative for that. Unfortunately its introduction apparently broke such nice thing like the photon workflow in Mantra. Personally I use mental ray's Final gathering for baking GI in Mantra .
All of this doesn't change the fact that irradiance() works pretty nice with baking to point cloud what does make a difference in high res animation. Again pretty extensive setup has to be done.

- As you mentioned in previous post, glass rendering likes to be separated for a fine tuning of sampling. Nice thing about VEX is that it lets you control all attributes of rays on per surface bases (or practically per ray bases). Glass is really difficult to render and I haven't seen many nice moving pictures of glass surface.

As I see this now rendering could be challenging also for planing and considerations. I know a beauty of easy setups since I work often with Vray team. I also know the pain of rescuing actions in case easy setup fails - this usually happens in a most destructive moment of production .

You can of course make a simple setup like above and count seconds but such blind comparison with VRay or Modo is pointless as we don't even touch features which make Mantra competitive to most respected and expensive engine out there.

cheers,
sy.

PS Sorry for a long post. I'm waiting for rendering
112 posts
I'm working on a lw/modo -style ubermaterial and this was a good test, heh. (I'll share it after ironing out the kinks)

Your ‘ubermaterial’ looks great - that's going to be a uber time saver! :wink:
304 posts
Fantastic time saver eetu! coming from LW you surely know I could use this

Would it be very tough for you to add the option to use image maps for every section so that it closely replicate the functionality of LWs layer system?
Javier Meroño
FX TD.
  • Quick Links