Why Is Houdini Apprentice HD So *AWESOME* In Its UI?...

27493   32   4
11 posts
Improv
I'm using one of the darker grey skins with HD. I had to open HD to even see what he was on about. Upon looking, there is an area approx 2“ long by 1/4 ” high that is taken up by the ‘HD Non-Commercial’ logo on my 22" monitor.

I had honestly not even noticed it until this thread. Looks like anyone who has the time to even bother complaining about such trivialites has way too much time on their hands! :roll:

BTW-Bernie? It's not a watermark unless it's on your finished work of ‘art’. In this case, the printing is discretely on one corner of the interface. And that is NOT a watermark.

It looks like anyone who doesn't notice such ‘trivialities’ shouldn't be doing high-end 3D in the first place…

The devil is in the details my dear…
113 posts
Apprentice user of many years and it doesn't bother me.
where am I?
68 posts
I'll put my two cents in and say it isn't that big of a deal to me where I would even think about going to Truespace 7.6 which is one big ass watermark of crap. You want to talk about interface issues? dr_bernie, please reconsider, I don't like to see people harmed and you downloading that piece of now free crap, would be harmful.

I would be half joking to state that the TS interface must do some damage to the mind considering that if you go to the caligari forum, all the dudes that spent hundreds of dollars to get screwed over royally with a release of their latest and greatest for free, are still happy, shiny people over there.
45 posts
dr_bernie
It looks like anyone who doesn't notice such ‘trivialities’ shouldn't be doing high-end 3D in the first place…

Interesting that it doesn't bother anyone else to the extent that it bothers you. No one else has been so obsessed as to quit the software over such childish trivialities.

And if you do such high end 3D (as you put it) then why did you buy the $99 ‘Apprentice’ HD version?

And why are you switching to such a high-end 3D app as Truespace? Guess it must be all the state of the art movie fx that TrueSpace is used for.

Get a life,get a clue-not necessarily in that order!
:roll:
Edited by - Aug. 8, 2008 12:19:58
31 posts
I am just amazed… :shock:
1769 posts
I can't believe…
daniel bukovec | senior fx td | weta digital
qLib -- http://qlab.github.io/qLib/ [qlab.github.io]
11 posts
Once again, and at the price of prolonging an unnecessary ‘dialog’, I would like to make several points very clear.

1. I have paid $99.- for Houdini Apprentice HD. The software is certainly impressive, but $99.- is all it's worth to me, i.e. if sidefx was selling it for $199.- I probably wouldn't buy it. And I could not care less if other people paid $20,000.- or more for it.

2. Sidefx web site
(http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=589&Itemid=221) [sidefx.com]
clearly states that the Apprentice HD software has no watermarks. When I installed and ran the software I saw that, lo and behold, watermarks are present in just about every view, pane and dialog, i.e. literally in hundreds of places inside the program.

3. I consider that the screen pixels belong to me. As a matter of fact my whole computer belongs to me. If something is written somewhere on the screen, it must be with my agreement. Anything that happens in my computer (web access, disk access, printing, pop-ups, advertisements or what have you), must be done with my consent. If a program does something without my consent, either the vendor must change the program to suit me, or I will not use that program. It's as simple as that.

4. I agree that Houdini displays a ‘Apprentice HD Non-Commercial’ in the application window's title bar. But this is the extent of what I agree to.

5. I consider that the presence of watermarks in hundreds of places in the program is a clear vioaltion of my right of ownership of the pixels on my screen. It is also a clear violation by sidefx of the terms of the license agreement and the statements made on their web site product page.

6. Therefore, since a sidefx representative clearly stated that the watermarks will most likely not be removed, I will, IF YOU PERMIT ME, not use Apprentice HD anymore. I will trash it, along with the license keys and I will use Truespace 7.6.

7. If some of you are not annoyed by these watermarks and tend to even like them, well good for you.

Thank you for reading. END OF DISCUSSION.
45 posts
dr_bernie
Once again, and at the price of prolonging an unnecessary ‘dialog’, I would like to make several points very clear.

Second verse, same as the first!

Shouldn't you be bugging the TrueSpace forum or something by now? For someone who disapproves of Houdini HD so much, you sure do hang around their
forums a lot! :roll:
68 posts
dr_bernie

You could just download a free version of Realsoft3d 4.2 instead of truespace 7.6 and it would be a better interface.

The links are in German but you could go to babelfish to figure it out.

http://www.urob.de/public/Realsoft3DV42.zip [urob.de]

Then get the serial number emailed to you from here:

http://www.realsoft3d.de/digipro/mod_form_v3a.asp?NAVI=8983908371106191;0;0&FMODE=1 [realsoft3d.de]

Completely free and legit with no “watermark” on the interface nor a crappy interface like truespace 7.6. Actually this is in jest, not that it isn't real but I'm telling you, truespace 7.6 is so crappy that you woudn't be that much better off than if you used a 5+ year old Realsoft3D product.

As a side question, could somebody explain to me how Relasoft3D is still in business? Does anybody actually still buy their software? Perhaps it is being subsidized by the State, cause damn for $700 it has passed it's prime years ago.
12469 posts
I suppose that's the risk you run when you open the doors to new users by offering free and almost-free software, any old anyone can walk in and just lever comment on the carpet.

$99 is the price of a couple of pizza's and some drinks and, by morning, your toilet will receive that donation; so cry me a river dr_bernie.
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
648 posts
hmm, where's the peanut emoticon?
47 posts
and now back to our regularly scheduled program……..
2 posts
Sorry folks … Elvis has now left the building… he was “All shook up … uhhu”
“Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.”
  • Quick Links