Tif and Rat problems

6256   7   0
249 posts
Hey guys,

My main problem is i cannot use the tifs i want. It simply says “unable to load texture”.

You can see it isnt the backslash problem

Yet i can manually load it in mplay.

Is this a restriction, because the texture is high rez?

Also i know that using RAT files are more efficient so in an effort to use the iconvert method i come up against a brick wall.

“Can't create output file”

Is this another restriction of Apprentice?

Like I said I can manually load the tif into mplay, but when i save it out it squashes it (non-proportionately) and applies the watermark (which i though that only applies to final render, etc)

The thing is this is a displacement map, so will the iconvert apply a watermark and size the texture down? If so, then how do i use the original tiff because it simple wont load.
blog [abvfx.wordpress.com]tumblr [andrewbrowne.tumblr.com]twitter [twitter.com]
246 posts
Yes, it's an apprentice restriction. Because houdini now creates .rat versions for all textures on the fly, the resolution restriction comes into play here. ie. none of your non .rat textures can be over the texture resolution restriction size. You'll also have to look out for the houdini logo watermark in the new .rat files as well.
249 posts
cant argue with that.

I got the tifs working. (i was using an old build of Houdini).

does this apply to houdini HD? If not then i guess it is time to shell out for it.
7734 posts
That bug was fixed in 9.5.204 as I replied in the other forum. I really wish people would stop cross posting.

Let me re-iterate, there are NO resolution limits imposed on READING images, in any edition of Houdini.
249 posts
sorry edward.

But stu says none of my rat textures can be over the texture resolution?

So if i had a 4k tif, and use it as a displacement, will mantra read it, convert it and resize along with applying the logo it at render time?

or will it just convert it to a rat?
7734 posts
stu's comment was due to a bug that has since been fixed. There are NO issues with using textures (of any size) for rendering. It will internally convert to .rat without changing the contents of the image. This thread should not have existed. It would have just worked as expected had the current production build of 9.5 been used.
246 posts
“This thread should not have existed.”

Hear that everyone? No more posting questions that you don't already know the answer to. Thanks for clearing that up edward, I'll be sure to keep it in mind for the future.
Staff
3455 posts
well to be fair…I thought that Apprentice had a texture limitation of 512x512…
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
  • Quick Links