Quickly selecting viewport in split-view - how?

5353   5   1
130 posts
Hello,

I have been recently trying to do some work using the split-view setup. Everything looks good, except I can't figure a way to quickly select a viewport I want to work with. I found two ways to select the viewport: (a) by using the display context menu, and (b) by using the “n” shortcut key, which would be fine, if it weren't necessary to position the mouse in a very small area, where the context is right and the key works.

Is there a way to force the viewport-select shortcut key to work all over each viewport area, rather than just over the display & cam menus?

And, is there a config option to activate each view in the split-view layout automatically, upon clicking/performing any action with the mouse in a given viewport? This is the behavior typical to other 3D apps, so I'd assume that SideFX must have had a good reason to decide for a more explicit viewport selection - I wonder why this way?

Thanks,
Greg

12523 posts
In the past, it was space+x over the split viewport to select one to be made active.
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
130 posts
Thanks,

Nowadays x (and space x) seems to be snap to grid.

I've discovered that clicking a mouse anywhere on the display/cam menu also selects the viewport WITHOUT marking it active (i.e. no change of color of the display/cam menu). A bug?
Staff
1072 posts
There appears to be a bug in recent 10 builds w.r.t. viewport selection. ‘n’ and space-'n' should always work anywhere in a split view.
Staff
1450 posts
the ‘n’ hotkey should be fixed in 10.0.303… sorry about that..
130 posts
Thank you! Now it works great.

This has also fixed quite annoying issue of the hand-cursor in the network pane - now the pointer reverts back to an arrow 8)

Thanks again,
Greg
  • Quick Links