Making PRMAN shaders in VEX?

4811   3   1
436 posts
Aside from having 3rd party PRMAN shader apps like GenShade ShadeTree, is there access to PRMAN SLIM type tools in VEX or SHOP.
OK in SHOP I can add simple PRMAN shaders, but what about custom ones. Also how are they loaded into Houdini? Do shaders need to be .slo compiled shaders, or .slc text. I mean if I were to cut/paste some PRMAN code from Repository into Text Editor, then save file with .slc extention. How do I actually get the shader into Houdini?

DaveR
196 posts
Yep, the shader needs to be compiled. Houdini also needs a script file which is created with “rmands” along with the knowledge of where the script is kept. It can be a fairly complicated process to set up. Theres a handy tutorial that got me going on odforce.net written by the UsualAlex I think.

Henster
Henster
436 posts
So question remains unanswered. Can we make PRMAN shaders with VEX. If so how do then complile them, and how do we set do they can be used?

Dave R
4140 posts
So question remains unanswered. Can we make PRMAN shaders with VEX.

I assume you mean VOP's, not VEX? VEX and prman shading language are two different languages.
To answer that question - no. It's tied to mantra, just like Slim is to Pixar's particular implementation of prman. There are many similarities between prman and mantra, but it wouldn't be worthwhile manually trying to tweak mantra code from VOPs since by definition code output from programs like Slim, VOPs, and Shadetree is more verbose than it needs to be - too fragmented to be edit-friendly. Not in a serious production, anyway…

If so how do then complile them, and how do we set do they can be used

The compiling that Henster referred to is to compile your prman shader, then run rmands on it, which can generate nice little OTLs that contain an interface to the shader. Note this does *not* contain shader code - merely the GUI access to it in Houdini. You need to ensure that your compiled shader is in prman's path.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
  • Quick Links