Q: Apprentice HD license for awards?

1958   1   1
7025 posts
Hi,

So, being too lazy to read 4 days' worth of legalese, what's the situation with Apprentice HD, and film festivals or unexpected sales?

Basically, if someone (not me) did a short, and it happened to win awards or get sold, but the original intention wasn't commercial, what happens?

Obviously, most awards would not cover the cost of Master or often even Escape yet could be interpreted as being “commercial.”

This is all hypothetical of course but before I recommend someone use Apprentice HD for a short, I wanted to clarify as this person has done award-winning work before.

Cheers,

Peter B
Staff
3455 posts
from

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=10121&highlight= [sidefx.com]

To everyone,

Thanks for the ideas regarding different ways we could set up the Houdini Apprentice HD prgram. While these ideas are intriguing it is our intention to focus this product on non-commercial projects being done by hobbyists, fan film artists, CG artists doing work in their spare time and of course students.

The term starving artist is a bit tongue in cheek but at the same time it represents the stage in an artists development when they are focusing on their craft and not really making money from it. We didn't make Apprentice a purely student driven initiative because we see a lot of other types of people interested in CG who could benefit from this program without competing and possibly underbidding commercial Houdini customers.

I mentioned in another forum that if someone starts out working on an art piece such as an animation for a festival and this results in you receiving financial reward then a couple things could happen. If your reward is substantial then it would be wonderful to think that you would purchase a commercial version at that point. If it was something less then tell us your story and let us use your art to help show off what Houdini is capable of. I am sure that there is a win-win in there somewhere.

Over at CGtalk, Jason Iverson nicely outlined a few options for renting licenses that would help out artists who want to work with Houdini commercially. These fees can be billed directly to clients and offer a path towards eventually owning a full license.

Robert
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
  • Quick Links