EXPORTING GEOMETRY TO 3D MAX

7283   6   3
2 posts
CAN someone please tell me how do i export a 3d geometry from houdini to 3 d max, was combining different siftwares for my work , thanks again
VFX MAJOR
Staff
3455 posts
right-click on your SOP and choose ‘Save Geometry’ you will gt a dialog where you can name it and save it where you want…there is also a little arrow there - if you click on it you'll get to pick your geomtry type (OBJ, IGES etc)…note this applies to Apprentice, there are other options in Master - but I don't have it so I can't really describe them…
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
4140 posts
I recall that the 3DS Max people are incredibly paranoid about their file format spec - even if you purchase a file format convertor on Windows, it requires an installed version of Max to do the conversion(in fact, it actually has to use the Max dll file!). So the upshot is that there is no direct to max exporter in Houdini. You'll need to use an intermediary format that they both share. There's a few to choose from - you'll need to A/B the spec sheets for both products to figure that out.

At the risk of putting someone on the spot , I know that the Monster By Mistake crew has an entire production built around doing things in Houdini and then exporting to Max - if someone from there peruses here they may have some useful suggestions…

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
Staff
3455 posts
yeah….I was refering to geometry only…actual scenes (shaders, animation etc) is whole other nightmare….
while there are apps (polytrans, Deep Explorer(?) etc) and the fbx format, I don't think any of these support Houdini…
I did a show in the summer that started in max and needed to be moved to maya and based on that the best advice I can give is to simply export the geometry as obj and rebuilt the shaders/textures by hand…if there is animation then there are formats that AFAIK Houdini will export and that max will read etc
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
1 posts
I haven't had any luck doing this either. The only common file format supported by Houdini Apprentice and 3DSmax seems to be DXF, but I can't get any geometry into max, regardless of the options I tried. Has anyone else had better luck?
Staff
3455 posts
use OBJ,
Houdini supports it and you can get some nice import/export plugins for max on the net…a simple search for “obj” should get you 5 or 6.
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
108 posts
arctor
use OBJ,
Houdini supports it and you can get some nice import/export plugins for max on the net…a simple search for “obj” should get you 5 or 6.

I wanted to suggest that aswell!

DXF works fine aswell, but I have to use 3dsmax at school, so I've experimented with several file formats already, and I myself prefer OBJ.
  • Quick Links