walk cycle

8158   15   3
21 posts
hello all

I make a simple cycle with the little cartoon character and I have a question:

What must I do for repeat the movement ?

And that the character move along a spline?

Thanks
21 posts
I suppose that if nobody responds, not even a developer from sidefx is that this is not possible in houdini doing what in animation master, lightwave, sxi, max and in Maya is easy to implement.

I have see in the video demo from houdini that this is possible to do: centaur!
So is that behind this animation there are many line of code done!

or is that sidefx do not have time to make tutorials, which explains their houdini9 from a to z.

At softimage there are training dvd that uses everything from a to z.
MAx and maya to

The problem is that of houdini tutorials are really good but does not explain the entire process.
Mantra: No book or tutorials!

In this case, is to lose a lot of time trying to find a solution that is sometimes simple or don't possible to do.

I will return a Houdini in 5 years, because losing fulls days and not solved the problems, it is the best solution for houdini remains marginal.
I do not have time to seek solution because no valid documentation exists!

Simply save animation data; make blocks of animation and mix; (save keyframe data button don't work on the houdini 91 246.

So in this case I would rather buy plugins with max and have documentation and videos The day that I lost in a houdini seek solutions actually costs me more than to purchase plug and make the job.

I did not 3 years to be cool to wait in houdini, pending the whim of a good soul who meets me

thanks
519 posts
With this attitude it's very unlikely you get an answer. It's weekend and even the developers of Sidefx need their rest.

You could check on odforce.net if there is an answer to your solution if you are in a hurry.

I have never done any animation in houdini but for moving your character along a spine you can check the Follow Path node. Also check this: http://localhost:48626/nodes/chop/cycle?q=cycle [localhost]

Good luck,
Hans
21 posts
thanks for your answere Hans

Sorry for my impatience, but this is exactly why we need the full documentation of Houdini.
If you have a problem on Friday evening you must wait until the following week to get a hypothetical answer

You can not ask for explanations anytime, because everybody did not have time to answer you.

This is because the program is complex it takes tutorials is as complete as possible:I did not understand why there are no tutorials or books explaining mantra. It is not normal.
Why there is nobody at sidefx who do not have the idea of dvds on animation, animated characters, mantra, modeling, …..

This is the forum which is the sole support of the program ?

Thanks !
69 posts
Hans: I cannot get the link to provide the page of data? Is this possible to view, as I have some questions about a procedural walk generator tool existing?
85 posts
1) This forum is for every Houdini users, from student to pros.
2) When buying Houdini, you get another type of support which is almost personalized
3) Tutorials?, I will repeat, I think there are plenty out there to get started and completed by one's generic knowledge in 3D, there should not be a problem to reach what one wants ( that s valid for Mantra too ).
4) When I started the Houdini docs were basic, but damn we managed to do things without complaining like it seems to happen frequently nowadays. It looks that more and more people want full already setup to do their work… well should we replace TDs by real monkeys?
85 posts
Hans: I cannot get the link to provide the page of data? Is this possible to view, as I have some questions about a procedural walk generator tool existing?

- That link should be used inside the Browser in Houdini.
1631 posts
Hi,
crouspix
hello all

I make a simple cycle with the little cartoon character and I have a question:

What must I do for repeat the movement ?

And that the character move along a spline?

Thanks
Scope the channels you want to repeat (or cycle) by Shift+MMB clicking on the parameter name. In the Channel Editor, Alt+LMB on any channel to set a keyframe where you want the repeat to end. This will create a keyframe for all channels on the frame you chose.

Next, select the channel segments before the new keyframe you set & you should see bezier() in the lower right corner. Double click to select bezier() & type in:
repeat(m,n)
or
cycle(m,n)
where m is the first frame and n is the last frame of the frame range
To find out more about the functions, you can open the Textport (Windows menu > Hscript Textport) and type in exhelp repeat or exhelp cycle.

Cheers!
steven
69 posts
Thanks, Gerome!
1192 posts
You should either change your attitude or indeed go to the Max plugins if they work better for you.
A forum like this is provided so that users can help each other with information and techniques. It is not provided so that we can read you the manual because you are too lazy to do so.
The thread itself is a shame as all the info you are asking for is provided very clear in the available documentation.
Did you take you time to read the tutorial on animation? [sidefx.com]
And the reference on animation [sidefx.com] where you can also find links to the two channel segments cycle [sidefx.com] and repeat [sidefx.com] and to the tutorial for the Follow Path [sidefx.com] tool?

Before shouting be sure you did your homework.

Dragos
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
21 posts
Gerome:
2) When buying Houdini, you get another type of support which is almost personalized :can you tel me more.

stevenong:

thanks a lot: I understand how to do for a simple object but for a rig:

I must do this on each channel from all the objects from the rig manually?
or is it possible to do so directly on the entire rig.
and for mixing the animation: (I can make a mix on channel ) but is't possible to make it directly on a entir rig?

Thanks a lot for the code.

digitallysane:

I read the doc, I have the videos.
if you find the doc clear it's cool for you:

A simple example that the doc is not enough: the last totor: “surface operation”
why make a video on simple functions if only because the doc is not clear enough
why do tutors on simple fonctions! there is a way of doing otherwise it does not!
It will not become monkeys provided!!!!!

Without doubt that for you: Why do simple when it is possible to make complicated. You can not understand.
1192 posts
crouspix
digitallysane: I read the doc, I have the videos.
if you find the doc clear it's cool for you:
I have to say I really doubt your statement. You mean you actually read the part of the docs I suggested earlier and still you don't know how to use the features?
A simple example that the doc is not enough: the last totor: “surface operation”
why make a video on simple functions if only because the doc is not clear enough
why do tutors on simple fonctions! there is a way of doing otherwise it does not!
First you complain that you don't understand simple features like animating an object on a path even if very clear docs and tutorials are provided in the Houdini help. Then you complain that SESI makes video tutorials for basic features (which I disagree, those videos are useful for introducing people to some interesting features of SOPs). How comes?

Dragos
Dragos Stefan
www.dragosstefan.ro
21 posts
You're bad liver, and you seek the small beast.
you understand anything you are too limited
1192 posts
crouspix
You're bad liver, and you seek the small beast.
you understand anything you are too limited
That is true, yet as limited as I am I can read some docs when the need arise, and I show respect for other's people time.
And one more thing, even if you didn't like*what* I told you, note that I didn't insult you (even if you were asking for it). Check your tone if you want to be part of a community and to ask for help.

Dragos
Dragos Stefan
www.dragosstefan.ro
55 posts
I hate to feed the troll, but seriously, that's totally awesome:

“You're bad liver, and you seek the small beast. ”

:twisted:

And it speaks volumes to the patience and support here. Cheers guys/gals.
“If you can eat it raw you can't under cook it”
7722 posts
stevenong
Next, select the channel segments before the new keyframe you set & you should see bezier() in the lower right corner. Double click to select bezier() & type in:
repeat(m,n)
or
cycle(m,n)
where m is the first frame and n is the last frame of the frame range
To find out more about the functions, you can open the Textport (Windows menu > Hscript Textport) and type in exhelp repeat or exhelp cycle.

Note also that if cycle() or repeat() is chosen from the pop-up menu there, it'll automatically put in frame numbers for you that repeats all previous animation.
  • Quick Links