Fur Braids?

5978   5   0
249 posts
Hey guys,

I'm surprised that no one has commented on the Fur asset in 9.5. I must say they are great. The setup is like what we had to create but much more organized.

anyway, my post about the control of fur.

A lot of controls are of the main direction of the fur and then some frizz.

One thing i am looking into is creating braids. I dont know how to approach it, plus if i wanted to create curls. How would one go about creating that.

Also, Is there any way to use the sculpt or paint node to sculpt the fur midpoint in the strand.

ie the fur is shooting out from the face normal and then I can sculpt the fur drooping in another direction from the midpoint of the strand.

Thanks again guys.

and thank you sideFX.

-andy
blog [abvfx.wordpress.com]tumblr [andrewbrowne.tumblr.com]twitter [twitter.com]
1769 posts
only thing i miss is the painting of bend(tip/root), otherwise its a really awesome DA!
daniel bukovec | senior fx td | weta digital
qLib -- http://qlab.github.io/qLib/ [qlab.github.io]
Staff
3455 posts
I haven't tried it with Houdini's current fur tools but…

you can load the examples/nodes/sop/fur/FurBall.cmd file and right after the line SOP insert an edit SOP and play around with the shape of the curve (note the noise parameters on the CVEX shader)
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
1533 posts
hey

i've been playing with the new fur tools for a few days, i must say they are really cool, well done SESI!!

as for doing braids, i'd say you would have to create custom guides, and you could use the same guides as clumping to keep the hair together.

would be nice if there was a procedural that created braided and curly hair , if that's even possible?

jason
HOD fx and lighting @ blackginger
https://vimeo.com/jasonslabber [vimeo.com]
Staff
329 posts
phrenzy84
One thing i am looking into is creating braids. I dont know how to approach it, plus if i wanted to create curls. How would one go about creating that.

You could change the clumping behaviour to curl and braid the rendered hairs about the clump curves. The clumping behaviour is defined by a VOP network in Fur Object's contained fur/shopnet1/fur_style1/furstyle/clump_shape node. Simply unlock the HDA (and contained fur/shopnet1/fur_style1 node) and add your own customisations.
249 posts
thanks derrick, i will definitely try that.
blog [abvfx.wordpress.com]tumblr [andrewbrowne.tumblr.com]twitter [twitter.com]
  • Quick Links