Python 2.6 / 3.0

3332   3   2
225 posts
I know its probably too soon to be thinking about this, but… with 3.0 released and many distros starting to ship 2.6 as default, I was just wondering what SESI's thinking in terms of a migration timeline. Given 3.0 will break a lot of old code and Library Modules being shuffled about as I've been discovering in 2.6, is there a recommendation/suggestion as to the way forward.

Since we're still pretty young in terms of our python usage here, it probably won't be too much of a trouble to migrate to 2.6 just to be on both sides of the fence but I'd like to know what people are thinking…

cheers and Season's Greetings to ALL

Lyn
24 posts
I'm shocked there were no replies for this as yet Lyn, but for someone who's on a Mac platform, which ships with version 2.5, it would be great to have step by step instructions on how to set up version 2.6 on OSX. Sorry if this is no help to you, but I would love to learn Python. I've lanched it in the terminal on OSX, but its only version 2.5. And, I have browsed the web and am not comfortable with tinkering with some of the instructions i was given. Thanks much in advance for any help.
225 posts
I toyed with 2.6 for a while because it came with SuSE 11.1 which I was evaluating. I love the new multiprocessing module in 2.6 but in all honesty I don't think we're ready to move just yet. With gcc 4.3 I can't get any plugins (C++) to compile right, not to mention broken Gtk libs so I just put it aside for now…
I imagine it will be a huge deal to move all their code to 3.0 for anybody, and it's not something you can just up and decide to do one day. Personally, I would suggest stay with 2.5 for now, especially if you plan to use it for CG/Comp and move when the industry does, if you like you can probably install 3.0 in a chroot and play with it. I'm not sure how you do that on a mac so I'm afraid I can't be of help, but please do NOT! replace your shipped version with either of these.

You don't need 3.0 to learn python that's for sure. In fact you're probably better off with 2.5 since you have more documentation and more downloadable code to study.

Anyway from the lack of response to this post I gather it's something people are not going to worry about anytime soon, so no complaints…

cheers
4140 posts
I wouldn't be shocked at the lack of comments - basically 3000 will break a *lot* of scripts, I think transition to it will be slow, and SESI wouldn't be doing themselves any favours by making rash announcements about switching to it(or not). Personally I think it will take shops a while to switch over, there will be resistance, simply because of the cost of switching with little perceived benefit.

We'll see. I certainly am not in any rush, Python 2.x works great.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
  • Quick Links