Massive RIBs to Houdini

16465   22   5
523 posts
Hello,

Is it possible to import Massive ribs into Houdini and how ?

thanks,

bern
311 posts
Sure, it's possible to do anything in Houdini
52 posts
jesta
be more specific, please.
696 posts
horizon1231
jesta

It's possible to do anything cg related using Houdini? 8)
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
1145 posts
That's not completely accurate Stephen, there's cnc control, audio generation, midi control, gps recognition (with a little help), etc…
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
311 posts
horizon1231
jesta

Well are the ribs generated for prman, Air, 3Delight? If the question is more specific, the answer is too.

And what do you then intend to do with them?
523 posts
Hello,

The ribs come from Prman. We want to import in Houdini for generating some fx (dust clouds) where the agents walk and so on…)

thanks,

bern
288 posts
insert the rib with pre-include in a geo.
^_^
7024 posts
You can't directly import RIBs into Houdini due to licensing (from Pixar) restrictions.

Martian Labs offers(ed) “Glue” which did read RIB files.

http://martian-labs.com/martiantoolz/products.php?product=glue [martian-labs.com]

We're (at CIS Vancouver) involved in a project to read geometry directly from Massive, but we've (well, OK, Ivan) had to write custom C++ code to do it and it was non-trivial

I'm told there are ways to cache out OBJ sequences of agents from Massive, but I don't know how exactly.

Cheers,

Peter B
41 posts
If you look on the massive community forum, there's an otl I put together for rendering massive sims via Houdini (PRMan). One caveat, I used our edu license, so it comes in as non-commercial…easy enough to dissect though. It'll also load in stand in geometry for your agents for blocking.
Chris
523 posts
Thanks pbowmar , drexel

bern
52 posts
drexel
If you look on the massive community forum, there's an otl I put together for rendering massive sims via Houdini (PRMan). One caveat, I used our edu license, so it comes in as non-commercial…easy enough to dissect though. It'll also load in stand in geometry for your agents for blocking.
Chris
could you post it here? can't access massive forum.
41 posts
I just went ahead and put it up on the Exchange…

Chris
4 posts
Hi Chris,

I am not a user of Houdini - but am trying to get agents into Houdini so our Lighting team can light them - so have no real idea how to modify the OTL to a commercial use - any chance you can tell me how, or send me a version I can use?

many thanks

Sandy
7710 posts
All non-commercial assets uploaded to the Exchange should automatically be converted into commercial assets to facilitate sharing. If you see such cases where this didn't happen, please submit a bug with the name of the asset.
4 posts
Well tried it again from Exchange - deleting all my versions this end before - still asks me to run in non-commercial - how would one log a bug for this - AND - would some really kind soul make it right for me - please??

Thanks

Sandy
7710 posts
bloogyct
how would one log a bug for this

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=15603 [sidefx.com]
7710 posts
Ah, I see the problem. The asset was uploaded within a .zip file, which prohibited the conversion scripts from running it. I just re-uploaded the .otl file without the .zip. It should be a commercial otl now. (Unfortunately, it had the side effect that I'm now shown as the author )
4 posts
great - thanks for that - will try it out on monday - in the meantime - anyone know where the amc2clip has gone????

thanks

Sandy
4 posts
Edward - just tried it - still says it is non-commercial!! - I downloaded your version, removed the one out of my folder under the houdini folder in my docs, put the new one there - same result!!

Any ideas?

many thanks

Sandy
  • Quick Links