how many ways to make 2 object combine together without gap?

13121   12   2
104 posts
Hi everyone , I have 2 model need to be combine together , well , actually is not only 2 , is plenty, so I cannot use “edit” or “transform” node to manual edit them 1 by 1.

I need some help , please kindly let me know as much tips as I can. (except with manual edit like “transform” or “edit” node , well , if there is expression can do the samething , please also tell me !!

Thanks please!!!

Attachments:
before combine.jpg (62.3 KB)
after combine.jpg (67.3 KB)

1529 posts
If you need to edit your separate models (/objs) as if they were one, create a new geo at the /obj level, and use the object_merge sop to pull all the individual pieces into one object.

G
104 posts
hi keyframe , merge is not what i need , i need 2 model in 1 geo files to be stick together. i have upload some image but the images was lost .. upload again ..

Attachments:
before combine.jpg (62.3 KB)
after combine.jpg (67.3 KB)

8592 posts
assuming that they are both sops
connect both to Point SOP (each to one input)
now you can move the first one to touch the second in x axis by typing something like $TX + ($XMIN2-$XMAX) to the position x parameter of the point SOP
where $XMIN2 is the smalest x position of the geometry connected to second input and $XMAX is the largest x position of the geometry connected to the first input
at the end you need to use Merge SOP to merge Point SOP and the second geometry (which was used only as a template for the point sop so the output from the point sop is only translated 1st geo)
feel free to use $XMIN, $YMIN, $ZMIN, $XMAX … as well as $XMIN2, $YMIN2 … in your expressions to acheive desired effect
alse take a look at other useful variables like $BBX, $SIZEX, $CEX …

this will work for your example but it may be not usable for what you really want. Maybe if you can tell us what your real goal is (you mention more than 2 objects, maybe not in one axis?) then you can get more help from us
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
104 posts
oh , thanks , i will try to work it out and see how to adjust the expression ;D
104 posts
hi , $XMIN & $XMAX is combine the object by the bounding box edge, is was very similar with what i need but just a little bit different , let me post my question again with new picture to explain it.

i hope you can help me out of this again please

cheers

Attachments:
group1 select a primitive.jpg (63.4 KB)
group2 select a primitive.jpg (59.4 KB)
then how to make 2 geometry combine together on the primitive without gap.jpg (42.6 KB)

104 posts
one more image missing, hehe , upload here

Attachments:
so i have 2 model.jpg (69.5 KB)

349 posts
you could use 2 metaball's as they blob together nicely, but don't forget to use a metaconvert afterwards to make the metaballs into polygons.
104 posts
not metaball bcs that means i have to manual edit the model places, if there are many diferent model there , i have to manual edit every model …

cheers
8592 posts
I have made a little VOP SOP for you which will align first input geo to the second input geo by 2 primitives (one from each geo)

you just set two primitive numbers
and then you can correct the placement by angle parameter

it is very fast built, so it may be buggy

it will not work correctly if the two primitives you want to align have normals pointing in exactly the same direction(very small chance, but when you are testing it and place 2 exact spheres next to each other and try to align primitive 0 to primitive 0 it will happen)
It can be easily fixed by inserting the transform node before the first (or second) input and set the rotation to very small number just to introduce small difference in normals of the chosen primitives

Attachments:
SOP_align_primitives.hipnc (119.5 KB)

Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
104 posts
tamte , you are so helpful , thank you very much !

this is very helpful VOP , I was so surprise you re genius ..

thanks again , this solve my problem.
8592 posts
You are welcome
I am glad you find it useful
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
311 posts
Also worth looking at is the align SOP
  • Quick Links