Houdini 10 doesn't display icons/performs slowly

5353   7   1
4 posts
Hi there,
I'm running Houdini 10.0.249.5 Apprentice on an early-2008 Macbook Pro (OS X 10.5, geforce 8600, 4GB of ram 2.6 Ghz core 2 duo).

The problem is, every time I start up Houdini, it starts rebuilding the GUI cache even though it says it only needs to do it once.
Then once the program has started, it not only performs extremely slowly, it also won't display any icons.
This is fine for the top shelf where atleast I have text labels to show me what I'm doing. But in other areas it's really quite annoying.

9.5 ran perfectly just before I installed 10. I removed 9.5 before installing 10. I've also tried uninstalling 10, destroying all traces of it, restarting the system and reinstalling.

No luck at all.

Any help would be much appreciated, because I would really like to be able to use Apprentice.
2624 posts
works fine here !.On my mac book pro 4.1 with a 512mg nvidia geforce card . I would suspect that my mac is the same spec

r
Gone fishing
711 posts
I don't run OS X but I believe another user was having the same problem as you, and the solution was to install X11. Houdini needs it. Do a search for ‘no icons’ on this forum, you'll probably find it.
4 posts
No real luck with X11 either. Already had it installed as part of Xcode.
And like I said, 9.5 worked fine. I'd go back to 9.5 if I could get a link to it?

Thanks though. Much appreciated.
I'm just really interested in trying out PyroFX because it looks like something that would be immensly useful for my Final Film project.
349 posts
DagMX
I'd go back to 9.5 if I could get a link to it?

Here ya go, all the older builds…

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_download&Itemid=208 [sidefx.com]
4 posts
ragupasta
DagMX
I'd go back to 9.5 if I could get a link to it?

Here ya go, all the older builds…

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_download&Itemid=208 [sidefx.com]
Many thanks.
Staff
1450 posts
Also, there is a thread here [sidefx.com] that sounds similar.
4 posts
I guess it must just be a system related bug. Houdini 9.5 is now acting the same way, even though moments before upgrading to 10 it didn't. SO obviously some files got messed about.
I could do a full OS reinstall, but that's quite a bit of hassle that I'd like to put off till Snow Leopard arrives.

Thanks guys though for the help.
  • Quick Links