What are the chances of Houdini switching to 30 day trial?

6193   8   2
96 posts
Hey guys, just wanted a couple opinions. Do you think that houdini will revert to a 30 day trial and drop the ple like maya or is there a good chance that the PLE will be around for a while?

Hairston
12503 posts
I'd be quite surprised if they did this any time soon; Houdini still needs to work it's exposure as much as they can, IMHO. They might make more marketing headway if there is no Maya PLE to contend with, too.
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
Staff
3455 posts
the Houdini Apprentice Edition IS a 30 day trial…

the license is updated every 30 days…
SESI said somewhere (I can't seem to find it) that is is possible that they would end it, but that it was extremely unlikely…

I wouldn't worry about it.
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
96 posts
arctor
the Houdini Apprentice Edition IS a 30 day trial…

the license is updated every 30 days…
SESI said somewhere (I can't seem to find it) that is is possible that they would end it, but that it was extremely unlikely…

I wouldn't worry about it.

Ok good, I was worried that I might put all my effort into studying the system only to lose it due to rediculous prices.

Hairston
156 posts
Because the competition is so cheap in comparison
:roll: :roll: :roll:
“In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
57 posts
hairston630
Ok good, I was worried that I might put all my effort into studying the system only to lose it due to rediculous prices.

Hairston

Rediculous prices? $1995 for what you get in Escape is a STEAL. Sure, you have to put in a little bit of effort to build up your skills and toolset but there is nothing that offers what Escape does at it's price. It's lacking in Dynamics and the particle system in Escape isn't quite as advanced as POPs. So what. Dynamics are easy to fake between expressions, CHOPs, and the spring and particle SOPs. If you don't need fluid simulation then the particle system in Escape works well. With a little creativity there is very little that you can do in Master that can't be done in Escape, it's just easier in Master.

For an example I would direct your attention to the atomic explosion here:

http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?showtopic=8897 [forums.odforce.net]

Look at the “making of” quicktime in the thread. No POPs and no Dynamics in that animation.
96 posts
splitpoint
hairston630

Hairston

Rediculous prices? $1995 for what you get in Escape is a STEAL. Sure, you have to put in a little bit of effort to build up your skills and toolset but there is nothing that offers what Escape does at it's price. It's lacking in Dynamics and the particle system in Escape isn't quite as advanced as POPs. So what. Dynamics are easy to fake between expressions, CHOPs, and the spring and particle SOPs. If you don't need fluid simulation then the particle system in Escape works well. With a little creativity there is very little that you can do in Master that can't be done in Escape, it's just easier in Master.

For an example I would direct your attention to the atomic explosion here:

http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?showtopic=8897 [forums.odforce.net]

Look at the “making of” quicktime in the thread. No POPs and no Dynamics in that animation.

Yeah that is awesome but I would still prefer to have what I was getting in the non commercial version. 2k is fine but I do nothing other than fluids, rigid body dynamics, smoke, flames, etc. I do my modeling work in blender. I was just worried about them removing the ple version of houdini.
1532 posts
Yeah that is awesome but I would still prefer to have what I was getting in the non commercial version.

So let me get this straight, your feel that you would be better off getting the $7995 system for $1995, is that correct?

Not to be cheeky or anything, but that's a little bit of a non-statement. We would ALL prefer that . . . But that's not the case.

Regardless of what we would prefer to pay, it's still great value compared to your other options.

G
96 posts
keyframe
Yeah that is awesome but I would still prefer to have what I was getting in the non commercial version.

So let me get this straight, your feel that you would be better off getting the $7995 system for $1995, is that correct?

Not to be cheeky or anything, but that's a little bit of a non-statement. We would ALL prefer that . . . But that's not the case.

Regardless of what we would prefer to pay, it's still great value compared to your other options.

G

No, im saying if I have to spend money on this program then id rather have the 8k package because its what ive became accustomed too. To have to pay 2 grand for a previously free program (non commercial of course) with less features than the previously free non commercial package is sort of a double wammy if you ask me. I hope I was a little more clear this time.
  • Quick Links