Crumpling and Tearing in Houdini 10

9758   6   0
46 posts
A new Masterclass has just been posted in our Tutorials section. This video was recorded at a technical evening presented in our Toronto office.

Presented by Martin Sawtell, this Masterclass covers the new crumpling and tearing features that are available in Houdini 10's physically-based cloth solver. These include support for plastic deformation, dynamic tearing and changing topologies.

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1540&Itemid=305 [sidefx.com]
1769 posts
Awesome, thanks for sharing this one!

Any chance to get the burning tank/building files in the future please?
It would help tremendously to understand certain things with pyro.

Or even the white smoke in the 10th blast off video would be nice.
I'm struggling to get those nifty details to appear in the upres smoke.

Thanks.
daniel bukovec | senior fx td | weta digital
qLib -- http://qlab.github.io/qLib/ [qlab.github.io]
29 posts
Is there a scene file for the knife cutting through the cloth?
21 posts
Sure, here you go. It needs some tweaking as it was done when cloth used a different tear model (where it was allowed to tear off single polys).

However you can see the basic workflow, feel free to play around with it. Of note is the trick I used to set pintoanimation to stop the whole sheet from wobbling around (using an attribute transfer from a POPs system).

Attachments:
knifinaround.hip (955.1 KB)

460 posts
This class is awesome thank you

and please tell me you guys recorded that SHADERS class from last wednesday the 1st.

thank you
varomix - Founder | Educator @ Mix Training
Technical Artist @ Meta Reality Labs
21 posts
^^^ Sure did, looking forward to having that as a reference too. Edit: Oops, wait I thought you meant the Toronto tech evening on Mantra. Not sure about the LA one sorry.

OK I had some people ask about having cloth advect fluids and vice versa, there is no solution built in to the cloth solver as yet that will handle this but I whipped up some solutions for you to try. Advecting a volume is easy enough, you generate an SDF off the bit of cloth and off you go, the other way around makes use of a new vector attribute called fexternal. It allows you to apply forces to the geo on a per point basis, so I used volume sample in VOPs to grab the velocity from a smoke sim and modify fexternal.

Pretty picture:

Attachments:
ClothVolCloth.zip (114.7 KB)

Staff
3455 posts
very cool!
thanks!

these should be added the the help cards
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com