Pose? stance

3985   4   1
617 posts
what does the “Pose” on the rigging means?

i am doing a tutorial from the magic of houdini and after doing a IK chain say to “Pose” the Goal of the chain, but i am donts see anything particular.

i asuming that “pose bones” is when you edit the bones like in XSI control +J so you can readjust them, and out of the pose bone state is when you really animate them.

Do we have something like “Set neutral pose” like in XSI. so you can just do “control +shit + R” to “Reset” to what you have set as neutral pose with everything back to zeros?

what are the most comun way to work, with the bones,

i am asummin with IK, for example legs.
but i saw Add forward kinematics, that add a goal null to all objects, and you can animate like animation master.
add kinematic, that you can do the same, but i half circle comes up.
and forward kinematics. been the old way.
Staff
3455 posts
it's very important to read the documentation on these issues:
Pose Tool
kinematics - there are 6 different types and they are not named the same as in other applications.
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
617 posts
hi Michael, i been reading a lot on that. i like very much that you can really change the type at any moment.

i think what he refer with Pose, is
in pose, is when you modify the bones and arrange them how you like them, and when you are out of it is when you animate them.
(like in XSI, pose is Control+J)

the thing i didn't understand kite well is why after setting the bones, he click on “Pose” on the top shelf
460 posts
Hi
The pose tool is use to Pose the character, put it in a pose, this doesn't refer to the rigging pose, or bind pose, like maya or XSI, which Houdini calls CAPTURE POSE.

This tool is for actually moving the bones to animate, I don't use it much for that, since that's kinda, the old way to do it, I use the handle tool to animate.

hope that explains that.
varomix - Founder | Educator @ Mix Training
Technical Artist @ Meta Reality Labs
Staff
3455 posts
yeah…many people just use the standard transforms for animation…

I only ever use the Pose tool to grab the IK values an jam them in the bones when rigging.
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
  • Quick Links