Creation of 3d geometry from 2d vector

11360   8   1
55 posts
Hi,

I'm very new to Houdini (v10) and my query might very well have an obvious solution - so in advance, apologies .

I have a large number of very detailed 2D vector files with non-traditional fonts/layouts that I wish to transform into 3d geometry (as either an obj file et al) for further manipulation within Houdini. Can anybody suggest the simplest way to do this?

I don't know if one can import a 2d vector into Houdini as geometry for subsequent extrusion, so I appreciate it might be a multi-stepped process. Any help would be really helpful. Many thanks.

Best wishes,
Helene
Helene
8551 posts
i think this tutorial might be useful for you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxx7qtWgYzE [youtube.com]
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
Staff
121 posts
Hi Helene,
Are these EPS files?
You can try using a Font SOP. Sometimes it will work, sometimes it won't.

If you are not able to load the 2D vector files with a Font SOP you can remake them by using a Trace SOP, to trace a new outline from a rendered image. The Trace SOP works best if the image it's looking at has high contrast.

Jenny.
Side Effects Technical Support
Staff
121 posts
Good video Tomas. That should cover it -)
Side Effects Technical Support
55 posts
Hi,

Thanks guys.

Thomas, will try that tutorial link. Thanks too, Jenny. Yes, they are EPS. Will look into that too. I've been wondering how I might do this for ages and all it took was a posting )

Thanks

Helene
Helene
55 posts
Hi Tomas/Jenny,

Me again . I've having little success importing the Ai vector. The tutorial video was very clear when the vector is created natively in AI. However, my vector was exported from Sibelius as an Ai, which Ai accepts no problem. I've tried everythig I can think of when saving as outline etc - but Houdini still won't display the text/vector.

I've created a simple sample vector file: created in Sib, exported as AI adn then saved again in AI. - saved using CS4's default settings - as opposed to saving as CS3, minus compression etc., in the hope it might shed some light on what I'm doing wrong - and I'm more inclined to think it is me . Any help would be gratefully received - this is driving me loopy.

Many thanks,

Heelene

Attachments:
Mass 1_0001.ai (146.7 KB)

Helene
8551 posts
you need to save it as Illustrator 3 files (the old i3 not CS3 or any other)
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
55 posts
Thanks Tomas,

It dawned on me an hour or so….watched the tutorial again and realised the vector file was saved as Illustrator 3 not CS3 - oops! Sorry about that.

Many thanks for getting back to me - very kind. It works fine now

Cheers,
Helene
Helene
11 posts
Hello everyone.

I folowed the steps in tutorial, and my vector imports a bit messed up.

I am attaching 2 files - preview, and the ai.

Ah, and i am using houdini v12 (free)

Thanks in advance

Attachments:
deshumyfont.ai (24.5 KB)
mess.JPG (26.5 KB)

• Quick Links