repeat texture

14700   6   1
7 posts
I'm so sorry for asking this, being a maya guy I'm trying to learn houdini. I decided to start with mantra since I'm somewhat familiar with renderman. I'm porting a scene that I created in maya to houdini. Everything is working fine however I cannot find a to repeat some of my texture maps on my materials

I would really appreciate if someone can explain how to do it.

cheers
7 posts
BUMP

Is it too hard to tile textures in houdini? Over 70 views and not one answer?
519 posts
*warning: very crude explanation*

I suppose it works like in maya, that is scaling your s,t parameters of your surface. In VOPS (think that is slim in maya or the hypershader) there might be a tile vop. When you write your own shaders you prolly want to do something like:

float ss = s / scale;
float tt = t /scale;

Then use ss,tt to scale down your image.
7 posts
Pagefan
*warning: very crude explanation*

I suppose it works like in maya, that is scaling your s,t parameters of your surface. In VOPS (think that is slim in maya or the hypershader) there might be a tile vop. When you write your own shaders you prolly want to do something like:

float ss = s / scale;
float tt = t /scale;

Then use ss,tt to scale down your image.

Thank you Pagefan

I'm using default mantra surface material. I tried to get into the node tree of that shader but there are like gazillion nodes there. I'm really baffled cause it would take like 3 seconds in *any* other 3d package to accomplish this.
7 posts
Ok I think I got it.

I have attached a TileBox node to s and t coordinates then piped it to suboutpu1 of Uvcoords1 node.
Staff
2592 posts
If you look at the texture VOP, you should see a menu labelled “wrap”. You can choose the periodicity in the texture() function rather than when you generate the map (as in prman).
  • Quick Links