Debris from breakable object

11717   5   3
23 posts
Hi all,
I'm trying to emit debris from a RBD automatic breakable object with no success. I can emit debris from manual fractured object but no with the new “make breakable” tools…
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
319 posts
What exactly do you mean by debris?

If you mean bits of particulate/small chunks upon impact I would do your RBD sim and write it out as a bgeo sequence, read it back in and do something in pops with the geo to emit bits of debris off your main chunks (copying or instancing small bits of geo to your particles after, and maybe just rendering some particles as just points for very fine debris). I'm not 100% sure, but I think the shatter tools in H11 now add an attribute to the geometry that will allow you to select the interior faces of shattered geometry, using this group to emit from would work nicely.
Staff
2540 posts
You mean the debris tool from the shelf. Sure.

First go to the Technical Desktop (if you aren't already using it over the, erm build desktop) and open up the details view below the viewport.

Next play back the simulation and watch what happens to the rbd objects. As soon as the breakable RBD object fractures, the original RBD object is most likely gone and replaced by a whole bunch of new RBD obejcts that use the prefix of the parent RBD object.

The issue is that the Breakable Object was built for non-dynamic fractured RBD objects and grabs that original name as the debris generator.

To fix this, do this:
Using either the tree view in the “Technical Desktop” or navigating the network, dive in to:
/obj/debris1/debris_geometry_setup
and select the top object_merge__dop_geo Object Merge SOP.
Notice that the Object1 field is set to the original selection:
/obj/AutoDopNetwork:box_object1/geometry
That box_object1 was the original object. Change this to:
/obj/AutoDopNetwork:box_object1_*/geometry
Now the debris tool will be working with all the fractured objects and not the original RBD object(s).

Hopefully the Debris Tool will be modified to support dynamic fractured objects but arguably it's much better to go in and tweak the nodes anyway. Best to know what is happening under the hood.
There's at least one school like the old school!
319 posts
Ah I see, it's one of the shelf tools eh? Cool! Too much time using prop. shattering tools to know them all!

I haven't got access to Houdini right now, does the debris tool setup a pop sim on fractured geometry or does it setup a secondary RBD sim from the first ‘smash’ or something different?
Staff
809 posts
FWIW, I put an example of another way of emitting debris with the dynamic fracturing tools here. [forums.odforce.net]
23 posts
Yes Jeff,that's what I mean, thank you for your workflow suggestion.
Thank also to Jean and Johner :wink:
  • Quick Links