HDRI in houdini11

14224   13   3
257 posts
Hello,

was watching a tutorial setting up HDRI in Houdini but it wasn't done in houdini11. The parameters and materials used seem different but i tried to follow as close as I could.

My render looked grainy and it turned out really dark which was completely different from the tutorial. Anybody has a link related to this topic or knows what I am doing wrong.

Here's the tutorial i was following,
http://nccasymposium.bmth.ac.uk/2008/ahsan_zohaib/tutorial.html [nccasymposium.bmth.ac.uk]

and hdr image downloaded from www.hdrlabs.com

Attachments:
utahhdri.png (102.2 KB)
utahHdri.hipnc (2.6 MB)

330 posts
Hello

Apologies if this is not new to you, I can't look at the .hip right at the moment.

H11 made HDR lighting easier. All you need to do is put down and environment light, and assign the HDR image.

Note the image can't be in Radiance .hdr format - it needs to either be in .exr (an open format) or .rat (Houdini's internal file format). If converting to .rat using Isixpack (Houdini command line tool), ensure the source is in Vertical Cross (cubic map) format.
191 posts
uniqueloginname
Note the image can't be in Radiance .hdr format

Are you sure about it? I don't think so …….
105 posts
Seems like your light_dome object is casting shadows onto the teapot. Once it's removed from arealight1's ‘Shadow Mask’ by adding ‘^light_dome’, the teapot does get rendered brightly lit by arealight1.

Cheers,
tk

Attachments:
Screen shot 2011-03-26 at AM 02.19.17.png (103.1 KB)

330 posts
roughsporty
uniqueloginname

I'm happy to be proven wrong as .hdr is clearly a popular format

It might illuminate, but might not be mapped properly?
299 posts
uniqueloginname
roughsporty
uniqueloginname

I'm happy to be proven wrong as .hdr is clearly a popular format

It might illuminate, but might not be mapped properly?

You can use .hdr. If you do the image need to be mapped in LatLong to work correctly.
Drive, monkey, drive!
257 posts
uniqueloginname - I converted the hdr image to vertical cross using HDR shop & made it .rat. Despite a warning about the resolution, it works when i used it with envLight while “No file or directory” message appeared when used with area light.

I personally prefer light dome method of doing this. Is the environment light is the only way implement image-based lighting in Houdini?

Was reading an older thread started by roughsporty,
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&p=97510&sid=2e26ce05673b6a60b85f6fe7d6050473 [sidefx.com]

If we're able to use lat/long map .hdr format why would we want to go the extra mile to change it to .rat format. isixpack doesn't allow me to convert lat/long maps .hdr into .rat without first changing it to vertical cross. ._.

tkngs - Hello, I was looking around for a checkbox “Cast Shadow” & “Receive Shadow”. >< This is real different, what does ‘^’ do?

Thanks to everybody.

Here's the link to download HDRshop if anybody is interested!
http://projects.ict.usc.edu/graphics/HDRShop/ [projects.ict.usc.edu]

The screencap shows the menu to make your image vertical cross.

Attachments:
HDRshop_panoramicTrans.jpg (161.2 KB)
cubicRatNoSuchFile.jpg (86.9 KB)
cmd_ixispack.jpg (151.7 KB)

330 posts
I hope I didn't just confuse you.

I think it's clear it needs Vertical Cross (cubic) format. I have often ignored the resolution warning, but you can correct it by just adjusting the width or height of the “target” image by 1 pixel when setting up the conversion in hdrshop.

Houdini might have been changed to allow more formats, i.e. HDR, EXR and RAT. Thus converting to RAT might not be necessary these days and Houdini might do it internally like it does with any image in a scene.

It should work with both Environment and Area lights although I don't have much experience with the latter.

Tkngs seems on to the solution (I'm guessing ‘^’ means negation?).

Good luck
105 posts
Yes, ^ means ‘NOT’. So essentially, we are telling the arealight1 object to ignore or exclude the light_dome as an occluder when casting the shadow rays.

The Shadow Mask parameter is essentially our Cast Shadow & Receive Shadows equivalent in each light object.

Cheers,
tk
257 posts
I am less confused than before, thank you all for explaining.

eitht.
8583 posts
why is everybody converting LL HDR maps to Vertical Cross or other?

I've never had problems using LL maps directly
maybe just converting .hdr to .rat to save conversion time at render
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
330 posts
http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini11.0/light/ambientocclusion#ibi [sidefx.com]

“To create more subtle environment illumination, you can also use a light probe image. Houdini reads environment maps that are set up in the cross format…”

“These files are high definition light probes that can be converted by Houdini’s isixpack reflection map generator utility into rat files. When these files are assigned as Environment maps in the VEX Global Illumination shader then the lighting is derived from image.”

8)

Like I said a few times, maybe things have changed
8583 posts
maybe, because LL works for me so maybe docs should be updated
or maybe I am missing something important
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
192 posts
uniqueloginname
http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini11.0/light/ambientocclusion#ibi [sidefx.com]

“To create more subtle environment illumination, you can also use a light probe image. Houdini reads environment maps that are set up in the cross format…”

“These files are high definition light probes that can be converted by Houdini’s isixpack reflection map generator utility into rat files. When these files are assigned as Environment maps in the VEX Global Illumination shader then the lighting is derived from image.”

i wonder if this is from the 90s…

• Quick Links