Export Motion Channels of RBD Simulation

12874   12   0
383 posts
I have a simple RBD Scene with Falling Cube and a Collision Plane.
Is there a Way to export or manipulate the xyz pos and rotation of the cube ?
To see the values in Graph Editor or to reach the xyz hpb from python to export to Aftereffects or to a collada scene file ?
I hope i could describe my problem clearly ..

thx martin
www.woogieworks.at
257 posts
Hey there,

I thought caching the RBD sim out as .bgeo sequence and once we read them from disk - they will consist of the transformation curves in Channel Editor, appears that's not what happens.

Want to know if this is possible too.

eitht.

Attachments:
00_rbd_data_to_graph_editor.hip (665.8 KB)

8589 posts
use Dynamics CHOP to extract any curve(s) from DOP network then export them to objects
or use Fetch Object to fetch transform from DOP object

but you better define all your transforms in DOPs so make sure all your RBDs are on 0,0,0 and use Initial transforms on RBD Object to define it's start position
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
383 posts
tamte
use Dynamics CHOP to extract any curve(s) from DOP network then export them to objects
or use Fetch Object to fetch transform from DOP object

but you better define all your transforms in DOPs so make sure all your RBDs are on 0,0,0 and use Initial transforms on RBD Object to define it's start position

Sounds interesting. Will try to setup demo scene for each scenario.

thx a lot
www.woogieworks.at
383 posts
It seems like to ExtractTransforms example for Chops is exactly what i am looking for. It writes the transformations translate and rotate from the rbd simulation to the channels on the object. but i dont quite understand the mechanism which works in the chop delete node .. why do i use a chop delete node to export the channels ?? which wildcards choose the channels ? and where are the affected objects chosen ?

but all in all it works perfectly..
Edited by - July 26, 2011 13:34:45
www.woogieworks.at
383 posts
.. and the next question :
Why does the channel editor show no curves ?
It does show a value for each frame for eg. rotation but it doesnt show a curve ( graph .. whatever to call it )
Is it possible to bake the motion channels to be able to manipulate them by hand ??
www.woogieworks.at
383 posts
This is a working version with chop export of rbd.

Attachments:
exportrbdchannels.hipnc (206.9 KB)

www.woogieworks.at
8589 posts
make sure to define all your transforms at DOP level to get correct curves from Dynamics CHOP
as now you have transformation on Object level prior to importing to DOPs which will not produce correct results even though you've parented output object to a null with the same initial transforms

secondly, it is a good idea to set Dynamics CHOP to Cached and lock after simulation is done so there is no resim needed every time you open the scene

here is modified eitht's file showing two mentioned methods of importing DOP data

as for getting editable curves to graph editor, once dynamic curves are chached you can maybe export the channels from chops as chan file and import through graph editor to correct parameters
or they surely can be baked with Python script
don't forget that you can edit channels in CHOPs either with various CHOP nodes or even manually, but with raw keyframes it is more like sculpting

Attachments:
get_DOP_transforms_to_obj.hipnc (350.7 KB)

Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
383 posts
thx a lot.
seems to be working really well. is there a way to export all channels of an object and reimport them to “freeze” the keyframes in a simple way or do you have to save each channel in chops and reimport it by hand ?
or asked in another way: how to freeze the keyframes of many objects and many channels ?
www.woogieworks.at
8589 posts
probably Python script will be the easiest way, unless there is something like this already there, but I am not aware of anything
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
7730 posts
dulo
or asked in another way: how to freeze the keyframes of many objects and many channels ?

I'm only half following this thread, but can you just lock your CHOP?
383 posts
What do i gain by locking my chop ? What does that do ? And how do i lock a chop ??
I would like to have keyframes to manipulate them by hand and/or export them to another program ..

thx
www.woogieworks.at
153 posts
Must say, its a great question post.
  • Quick Links