User voice for Houdini?

2220   5   2
131 posts
Is there a website for Houdini to submit small feature requests? I don't mean major features but simple and very useful features.

Autodesk started doing one for Max for a while, and I must say it's pretty effective:
http://3dsmaxfeedback.autodesk.com/forums/80695-publicgeneralfeaturerequests [3dsmaxfeedback.autodesk.com]

If you think people might sabotage, etc, make them to use private emails or even get them to verify them, just for authentication purposes. I am sure, this would make an already amazing app, even better.

In fact, SideFX's unique daily builds would be good to squeeze in some of these once in a while.

What do you think?
1799 posts
Hey magneto, take a look at the first sticky post in thus forum. You can basically submit an RFE to sidefx using the method above
-G
131 posts
Thanks Gray, I will use that. Although the advantage from user voice is that everyone can see and vote on your requests so this would IMO give SideFX a better idea what their community really values.
1390 posts
magneto
Thanks Gray, I will use that. Although the advantage from user voice is that everyone can see and vote on your requests so this would IMO give SideFX a better idea what their community really values.

Interesting idea, but it works similar to RFE, as repeating RFEs are merged, i.e. if you're on a AUP (you've bought support), and you requested something it was already asked for, you get an access to the database which tracks that issue/request.

I think Adsk has to play differently here, because of a much bigger user base. SESI can read two forums to have a good grasp of a community feelings, not to mention many users with some expierience are known privately. Actually don't let me start on this, as I don't have much to say about Adsk support in general and I have a good comparision buying software from a couple of vendors. The site like you posted, I see as a pure marketing. I'm sorry.

Saying that, just post RFE by yourself (possible also starting thread about it if you need support ). As far as I know they are very much welcome at SESI. Personally I think that many aspects of Houdini are little rustly for that very reason that no one cares about it and thus hardly requests any changes, starting from modeling up to character animation.
Staff
2540 posts
You only get 20 votes.

Stuff is always sneaking in to Houdini daily builds btw. Every time you download the software, you have to have a read through the journals to see what was fixed and what was added. That's daily for all supported platforms.

Many forum posts make it in to requests for enhancements (RFE's). I can attest to that personally. Post away! Any one can read the forums and chime in. We don't forget even tiny request from years ago.

One issue with lists like these is they tend to be like Shopping lists. Perhaps that is why the limit is set at 20 votes so you have to think about what you want on your shopping list. If not, you would click on most of them and then the weighting is all skewed. That is a challenge for any feature list btw.
There's at least one school like the old school!
131 posts
Thanks guys for your input. Yeah 20 votes is a bummer because once you spent it all, all the new features sort of pass by you as you don't wanna reallocate.

So I will post them in this forum then 8)

The fact that this software is very light and clean looking is a proof you guys care I think. No 3d app I know starts in 2 seconds

Btw Jeff, since you are one of the devs, do you know if any feature requests like being able to change editor fonts be considered? Even if it's via editing a text file, I think it would really be useful and makes scripting much better. One can argue to use external editors, but nothing beats integrated scripting IMO.
  • Quick Links