Is PyroFX the first fire to emite light from itself?

6207   7   3
101 posts
Now with this new emite light from volume…
Wondering if there is other capable of that or just the Houdini the first one?
172 posts
i am not sure if it is technically the same but turbulenceFD and fumefx can illuminate the surrounding objects
23 posts
That's an interesting point. Do PyroFX setups actually emit light? If yes, how is it controlled /tweaked?

Cheers,
Michael
Dr. Michael Boeni
Team-IMX
1390 posts
teamimx
That's an interesting point. Do PyroFX setups actually emit light? If yes, how is it controlled /tweaked?

Cheers,
Michael

Prior 12.5 Pyro emits lights from a point cloud. With 12.5 Houdini's volume can emit light by itself, and thus Pyro.

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini12.5/shelf/volumelight [sidefx.com]
23 posts
Wow, that's neat

I must say, I am more and more impressed with Houdini…

Best regards,
michael
Dr. Michael Boeni
Team-IMX
101 posts
sami.tawil
i am not sure if it is technically the same but turbulenceFD and fumefx can illuminate the surrounding objects

Are you really sure Sami?

I saw a bunch of tutorials and vids about FumeFX on the past, (version 2.0) and always saw the light coming from external lights… never saw a tutorial telling about
fumefx emitting light.

Maybe i am wrong!

143 posts
Sty
sami.tawil

Are you really sure Sami?

I saw a bunch of tutorials and vids about FumeFX on the past, (version 2.0) and always saw the light coming from external lights… never saw a tutorial telling about
fumefx emitting light.

Maybe i am wrong!

Vray or Final Render and FumeFX can definitely cast light/GI from the volume. Im not sure if you can with FumeFX and Scanline renderer but Vray has pretty nice rendering support of volumes in regards to this.
373 posts
^With Fume I also used particles that sampled the fume to drive some omni/point lights as well a few times. Certainly less grainy and a lot quicker than using GI.
Ian Farnsworth
  • Quick Links