Viewport/OpenGL problems continue

46025   98   4
Staff
5158 posts
I guess you can't tell me when that will be.

Can't tell you what I don't know Release dates tend to be a bit fluid, depending on the state of the software. “Months away” is as about as accurate as we can be at this point.

However, crashes & bugs will be addressed in the current H13 builds, if you have a reproduceable test case or crash log.
246 posts
This is incredibly frustrating. Point snapping was once fairly dependable and it has become increasingly volatile over the last few releases to the point where it almost doesn't work at all, and it's taking me twice as long as it should to model as a result.

Like I said in another thread I was meant to do a series of modeling tutorials for an online training resource but I ran into so many issues in 12 and 13 that I couldn't get through 5 minutes of recording without running into an issue so I stopped.
4189 posts
Yup, agree. Good stuff that Sesi are onto this now, which is great.

There was another thread saying something like ‘don’t upgrade modelling, just keep fx ahead of the rest'; ergo bad snapping was probably the result of such thinking. Just like a car, you can't neglect the wheels because you just want a powerful engine, meaning one can't neglect other areas of the 3d software.. It works as a package
246 posts
I'm still having the selection problem in the latest build (13.0.353), despite the 13.0.349 bug fix:

Tuesday, March 11, 2014
Houdini 13.0.349: Fixed a bug with primitive and vertex selections & attributes on large meshes, which are diced up for efficient GPU drawing in the viewport. Things like primitive selections and attributes would be indexed incorrectly after dicing.
Staff
5158 posts
I'm still having the selection problem in the latest build (13.0.353), despite the 13.0.349 bug fix

This fix only affects incorrect selection & picking for very large meshes. Which selection problem are you referring to? The selections appearing black?
246 posts
twod
This fix only affects incorrect selection & picking for very large meshes. Which selection problem are you referring to? The selections appearing black?

The issue was that occasionally the selection (points, polygons, etc.) wouldn't register in any way if I attempted to select all of the geometry using the marquee selection. If I selected only part of the geometry, the selection always worked - the primary difference there I'm guessing was that the selection marquee contacts the underlying geometry with a partial selection, but not in the case of a total selection.

I'm using 13.0.357 now and haven't run into the issue yet, crossing my fingers. I'm going to be into it tonight, we'll see.

Now, if only we could get the new snapping…
Staff
5158 posts
If you do find that selection is periodically failing, you can try setting the env variable HOUDINI_OGL_DUMP_SHADER_ERRORS to 1. This will report any shader compile errors, which will basically stop that particular draw operation from completing. GL3 uses them for display as well as picking.

The GLSL compiler is part of the driver, and occasionally the compiler regresses and reports an error when it shouldn't. I'm using the Nvidia 319/320 series and it works correctly for all Houdini viewport shaders. Most issues only pop up in beta drivers, but I have run across a couple in regular releases, though nothing lately.
246 posts
Thanks, if it happens again I'll give it a try and report back.
2624 posts
MartybNz
Ha - cool as - once the osX version gets to GL3.3 it'll all be fixed up - thanks Stu!

Hey Marty, My mac book pro on OSX 10.9

OpenGL Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M OpenGL Engine
OpenGL Version: 2.1 NVIDIA-8.24.11 310.90.9b01
OpenGL Shading Language: 1.20
Viewport Render Version: GL 3.3
Detected: NVidia Consumer (Mac version)
Unknown VRAM
Unknown driver version

Judging by the announcement on graphics cards OSX macbook pros wont be supported ? . \ right now testing H13 on OSX its unusable.

Rob
Gone fishing
4189 posts
Hey Rob, test it out with this GL viewer - see if it works up to GL 4.1

http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/ [realtech-vr.com]

Edit: probably best if Twod can answer too.

Edit: Ran the test on a AMD 7950, passed to 4.1. and a GeForce 120, passed to 4.
Staff
5158 posts
Judging by the announcement on graphics cards OSX macbook pros wont be supported ? . \ right now testing H13 on OSX its unusable.

The GT330 will be supported.

OSX is pretty much the reason why we're switching fully to GL3. Unlike Windows and Linux, where the video driver provides the OpenGL implementation, OSX provides its own OpenGL implementations. The first, which Houdini currently uses, is legacy GL2.1. The second, introduced in OSX 10.7 Lion, supports GL3.2 (and now 4.1). However, this new GL driver doesn't implement any of the older GL API which the rest of Houdini's UI is based on. In order to enable the GL3 viewport on OSX, we had to convert everything else to use GL3-based methods.

The next version of Houdini will request the new (core profile) GL implementation. You should see GL3.3 reported for the GT330 (it's a GL3 part, not GL4) and you'll be able to use the same GL3 viewport as the other platforms.
4189 posts
circusmonkey
\ right now testing H13 on OSX its unusable.

Rob

Not sure what the issues are but you can always install Linux or Windows.
Staff
5158 posts
Not sure what the issues are but you can always install Linux or Windows

That's not likely to win over many OSX users, though. You shouldn't have to install another OS just to run an application correctly. By switching the next Houdini version to OpenGL 3, we're bringing all platforms to the same level. Unfortunately it's a lot of work on our part to do so, which is why it's taken awhile.
2624 posts
MartybNz
circusmonkey
\ right now testing H13 on OSX its unusable.

Rob

Not sure what the issues are but you can always install Linux or Windows.

With my mac currently full of data, that would be impractical. Support has told me the greyed out viewport is a bug that's pretty simple to get fixed. Lets hope that's soon.

Rob
Gone fishing
4189 posts
twod
Unfortunately it's a lot of work on our part to do so, which is why it's taken awhile.

Very much appreciated!

OpenCL is almost the last reason to keep Linux installed
2624 posts
Ive picked another issue up with OSX , turn on display point normals > display settings > guides > adjust the scale normal parameter, the viewport point normal guides don't update realtime. You have to toggle the point normal display on / off . Prior versions of Houdini would show real time point normal adjustment.

Rob
Gone fishing
Staff
5158 posts
That one we have a bug submitted for (GL2 normals not live).
4189 posts
Yep -greying viewport text fixed in Houdini 13.0.371 on osX
2624 posts
Getting wire frame geometry remaining in the viewport even when its deleted or hidden. I presume this is a refresh issue. The only way to fix it is to re start . Is there a way to manually refresh the viewports without a shut down ?

osx 10.9 13.0.376

Rob
Gone fishing
4189 posts
Opening a new Scene tab can help sometimes.
  • Quick Links