Is HScript deprecated?

2977   4   2
621 posts
hi

The help document said :“The old expression language is still available in Houdini for compatibility with older files and scripts. For new animations, we recommend you use the new HOM scripting architecture instead.”

I'm newbie for HScript and I want to ignore it and use HOM instead. Does this make sense ? And from the help document we can say SESI will not continue develope HScript any more, is it true?

Thanks!
948 posts
It's the only script besides VEX and expressions that I use in Houdini, it`s fast and I never really had to use another one so far.

Cheers!
https://vimeo.com/user2163076 [vimeo.com]
1907 posts
HOM is still far from complete and definitely not able to get anywhere near fully replacing Hscript's abilities. Those docs are probably from Houdini 9.0 days where the idea was that HOM would be a fully functional replacement, however much has changed since then.
Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
7025 posts
I use Hscript expressions for in parameters since it's very fast, I use Python for Shelf tools and scripting (wrapping Hscript when something is missing). So they work together and Hscript isn't at all obsolete.
Staff
2540 posts
100% with Peter.

hscript is in no way deprecated.

Houdini scene files write hscript files in the .hip CPIO archive. You can use the shell command “hexpand” on a hip file to expand it in to the literal folders and hscript command files that create and describe each node in Houdini. Along with all the preferences.

.ifd files for Mantra are all hscript as well with the additional vm_* hscript commands. ifd's are also programmable with hscript as all hscript commands should be supported if valid within the ifd.

Nope. hscript is more than a valid method in Houdini. It is lightweight, direct and simple to learn. Python is far better to implement actual tools that do stuff in Houdini though.
There's at least one school like the old school!
  • Quick Links